Automation designer questions

I just recently got upgraded by my company to a new laptop with Win 7. Yay! Finally off XP! (Ironically the same week M$ announces they re dropping Win7 I finally upgrade to it, but I digress)

As part of the upgrade I had to reschedule some automation designer items. I have one running three times a week and one running every day. I’m running into an issue I can’t figure out with the daily one.

It is set up to run a file every day, but it has been failing saying “Execute Script1 (Execute Script) failure: Nothing specified to execute”, but when I look at the properties of Execute Script1 it shows the file and I can immediately click Run and it works like it always has, it just fails when the scheduler runs it. Suggestions?

Also I’m wondering, when I click to schedule a task that is already scheduled shouldn’t it show that somehow, even if only to say “this is already scheduled”? I scheduled something to run three times because I thought the schedule setup was failing before I thought to look in the Windows scheduler to find it there already.

Chris,

Very strange…I’m not seeing this kind of behavior. I setup a new action to execute a test.sql script and output to my temp folder. I tested the script
and it executed properly. I then scheduled it to execute only once at a time 3 min in the future. Once the time arrived, it executed exactly as running it manually did.

Can you send me the action off line to gregorylisssoftwaredellcom? Just right click on the action itself, copy, and paste it into an e-mail.

Thanks,

Greg

From: Chris Johnson [mailto:bounce-chrisjohnson@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 9:25 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Automation designer questions

Thread created by Chris Johnson

I just recently got upgraded by my company to a new laptop with Win 7. Yay! Finally off XP! (Ironically the same week M$ announces they re dropping Win7 I finally upgrade to it, but I digress)

As part of the upgrade I had to reschedule some automation designer items. I have one running three times a week and one running every day. I’m running into an issue I can’t figure out with
the daily one.

It is set up to run a file every day, but it has been failing saying “Execute Script1 (Execute Script) failure: Nothing specified to execute”, but when I look at the properties of Execute Script1
it shows the file and I can immediately click Run and it works like it always has, it just fails when the scheduler runs it. Suggestions?

Also I’m wondering, when I click to schedule a task that is already scheduled shouldn’t it show that somehow, even if only to say “this is already scheduled”? I scheduled something to run three
times because I thought the schedule setup was failing before I thought to look in the Windows scheduler to find it there already.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hey Chris,

Congratulations on getting off XP and on Windows 7!! Just an fyi – I haven’t heard anything about them dropping Win7. In fact, according to their Support
Lifecycle Policy:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=12amp;y=13#tab1

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

you should have Extended support through January 2020:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=14481

In answer to your questions:

The error you’re receiving is generated by Toad within the Automation Designer. There are a couple of things that could be an issue:

a.
Are you running the task with the same credentials as when you run Toad manually?

b.
Are you running the task with “highest privileges”?

c.
Is the file or output directory located on a networked folder or mapped drive?

Windows 7 uses Task Scheduler 2.0 whereas Windows XP used Task Scheduler 1.0. They may have some similar options, but they do behave
a bit differently behind the curtain. It’s possible that permissions may be a bit off in order for Windows 7 to access the file in question, where this may not have been an issue with Windows XP. In addition, if the file is on a networked or mapped drive,
the Windows API call that checks to see if the file exists may return an incorrect result if the permissions are not set properly.

It should already notify you that the task has been created. I just ran a few tests on my Windows 7 machine and it let me know the task with that
name already existed. Unless, are you naming them different names? Because then you can create multiple tasks with the same actions.

-John

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Automation designer questions

As part of the upgrade I had to reschedule some automation designer items. I have one running three times a week and one running every day. I’m running into an issue I can’t figure out with
the daily one.

It is set up to run a file every day, but it has been failing saying “Execute Script1 (Execute Script) failure: Nothing specified to execute”, but when I look at the properties of Execute Script1
it shows the file and I can immediately click Run and it works like it always has, it just fails when the scheduler runs it. Suggestions?

Also I’m wondering, when I click to schedule a task that is already scheduled shouldn’t it show that somehow, even if only to say “this is already scheduled”? I scheduled something to run three
times because I thought the schedule setup was failing before I thought to look in the Windows scheduler to find it there already.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Not dropping support, just not selling Win7 any more in favor of Win8 and upcoming 8.1. I’m sure it will take a year or two to filter it out of the market stream,
but like XP it will be around for a decade.

1a – I think so. Not sure how to tell though. If I remember correctly it asks for credentials and I’m pretty sure I put in my own, same as running it online.

1b – Yes.

1c – Yes. Definitely. Input file, no output. It always has been, but could be an XP vs. Win7 thing. It’s a trivial script (just a delete … where… and commit).
I have no problem removing the file and embedding the script directly if that makes it work.

2 – It’s entirely possible that I changed the name. I looked to make sure it ran and saw that it failed and couldn’t see it scheduled and probably rescheduled
with a slightly different name before I figured out that Task Scheduler has a tree structure and I wasn’t seeing the Quest/Toad node until I expanded the tree. I think I had it scheduled a couple of times under slightly different names.

I just ran it through task scheduler making sure that my credentials are valid and it’s running with highest privilege. Still fails.

It looks like embedding the code directly rather than in a file works. In this case it’s a simple script and I don’t mind, but I could foresee situation where
that wouldn’t be acceptable. Do you want to continue down this path and see if we can figure it out?

Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 9:27 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Automation designer questions

RE:

Reply by John Bowman

Hey Chris,

Congratulations on getting off XP and on Windows 7!! Just an fyi – I haven’t heard anything about them dropping Win7. In fact, according to their Support
Lifecycle Policy:

The error you’re receiving is generated by Toad within the Automation Designer. There are a couple of things that could be an issue:

a.
Are you running the task with the same credentials as when you run Toad manually?

b.

c.

Windows 7 uses Task Scheduler 2.0 whereas Windows XP used Task Scheduler 1.0. They may have some similar options, but they do behave
a bit differently behind the curtain. It’s possible that permissions may be a bit off in order for Windows 7 to access the file in question, where this may not have been an issue with Windows XP. In addition, if the file is on a networked or mapped drive,
the Windows API call that checks to see if the file exists may return an incorrect result if the permissions are not set properly.

It should already notify you that the task has been created. I just ran a few tests on my Windows 7 machine and it let me know the task with that name already existed.
Unless, are you naming them different names? Because then you can create multiple tasks with the same actions.

-John

[mailto:bounce-chrisjohnson@toadworld.com]

Automation
designer questions

the daily one.

Stop
receiving emails
on this subject.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Image removed by sender.

Stop
receiving emails
on this subject.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hey Chris,

Can you forward us your ToadActions.dat file as Greg previously mentioned? After our first round of troubleshooting, that may be what we need to help track
this issue down.

Thanks!

-John

Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 11:55 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Automation designer questions

RE: Automation designer questions

Reply by crjohnso

Not dropping support, just not selling Win7 any more in favor of Win8 and upcoming 8.1. I’m sure it will take a year or two to filter it out of the market stream,
but like XP it will be around for a decade.

1a – I think so. Not sure how to tell though. If I remember correctly it asks for credentials and I’m pretty sure I put in my own, same as running it online.

1b – Yes.

1c – Yes. Definitely. Input file, no output. It always has been, but could be an XP vs. Win7 thing. It’s a trivial script (just a delete … where… and commit).
I have no problem removing the file and embedding the script directly if that makes it work.

2 – It’s entirely possible that I changed the name. I looked to make sure it ran and saw that it failed and couldn’t see it scheduled and probably rescheduled
with a slightly different name before I figured out that Task Scheduler has a tree structure and I wasn’t seeing the Quest/Toad node until I expanded the tree. I think I had it scheduled a couple of times under slightly different names.

I just ran it through task scheduler making sure that my credentials are valid and it’s running with highest privilege. Still fails.

It looks like embedding the code directly rather than in a file works. In this case it’s a simple script and I don’t mind, but I could foresee situation where
that wouldn’t be acceptable. Do you want to continue down this path and see if we can figure it out?

Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 9:27 AM

RE:

Reply by John Bowman

Hey Chris,

Lifecycle Policy:

a.

b.

c.

It should already notify you that the task has been created. I just ran a few tests on my Windows 7 machine and it let me know the task with that name already existed.
Unless, are you naming them different names? Because then you can create multiple tasks with the same actions.

-John

Automation
designer questions

the daily one.

Stop
receiving emails
on this subject.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Stop
receiving emails
on this subject.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I am having this exact problem was a solution ever found?

What is the syntax of your command line parameters? If the scheduled task is passing -a action_name try changing it to -a “app_name->action_name” to fully qualify
it. Include the double quotes.

Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:34 PM

RE: Automation designer questions

Reply by zoeteman

I am having this exact problem was a solution ever found?

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Yes, In Widows Task Scheduler, the Augments for the Action are correct and double quoted ( -a “Stu_Export_Neb->Execute Script1” )

Hi zoeteman,

Have you gone through the tests listed above? One of these might help track down the problem you’re seeing:

1. Make sure you’re running the task with the same credentials as when you run Toad manually. You can check this from the Windows Task Scheduler by right-clicking the task and selecting “Properties”. Then, look in the “Security” group box.

2. Are you running the task with “highest privilege”?

3. Are you referencing a file in a networked folder or mapped drive? If so, is it an input or output file?

If you’re still running into problems with this, let us know what you’re trying to do and we’ll see if we can track it down further.

Thanks!

-John

Also, another check… If you right-click on the task in the Windows Task Scheduler and select “Run”, does your task work without a problem?

The job did run after moving the script to the desktop, but with error:

C:\Users\ccs\Desktop\Stu_Export_Neb.sql executed with 1 error.

Do you know if this error is logged and where to find it?

The script does refence a network drive. It is written to create and save a fileile to a network drive.

Windows taks schedular has never shown an error for the task. It has only been the log in Toad that shows the task failed. Kicking it off in Windoes taks schedular, now should take a couple of minutes.

Task failed when kicked off in windows schedular.

so lets try this again:

PC logged on to network with ‘generic’ dept log on.

Toad started with user that has full priveledges on PC and network drives.

Task created and run manully as user runs fine with script on network,

Scheduled task in Toad does not

task cant be run with highest priveledges (Eerror registering task Access is denied)

I do belive this is a permissions thing, but what permissions are needed?

Took this back to my PC so I do not have to deal with the operations PC and network permissions.

I have

Read and Execute,

List,

Read

Write

rights to the networks folder where the script is stored and the output is to be written to

Runs manually fine .

Then scheduled the task

Scheduled failed. with this message

Execute Script1 (Execute Script) failure: Nothing specified to execute

Changed to run with highest privileges…Failed

Execute Script1 (Execute Script) failure: Nothing specified to execute

Would the ToadActions.dat be of any help?

Is the source file on the network being referenced via its UNC path (\server\share\path) or is it being referenced through a mapped drive?

If it’s a UNC path, does the script work if you change it to a mapped drive?

Please see private email

Failed again.

Copied script to my desktop.

Runs fine when manually run.

Failed on scheduled run but received different error:.

8/18/2014 9:43:47 AM: Execute Script1 (Execute Script) started.

8/18/2014 9:45:58 AM: C:\Users\zoeteman\Desktop\Stu_Export_Neb_Script.sql executed with 1 error

8/18/2014 9:45:58 AM: Execute Script1 (Execute Script) finished.

Baby steps.

Change some network locations in the script to the full name, not mapped drives, and

I can run and schedule the script from my desktop, BUT

Copied the working script to the network drive and still get same behavior.

runs fine manually, fails with Error EXEC_FROM_U (Execute Script) failure: Nothing specified to execute.when scheduled.