Toad World® Forums

Can't initialize OCI. Error -1 - Windows 10

I can not connect to a oracle 10g database using the 32bit version on a 64bit operating system. I have installed the software using Admin privileges and I have even attempted to run the software with Admin privileges. I have triple checked all the connection parameter details, and I get the Can't initialize OCI. Error -1 error message when I attempt to connect. When I have TNS ping via the Toad software is just states that the listener is not found.

Many thanks

Neil

Do you have 32 bit Toad? (you should, if you want to use 32 bit Oracle client)
Is the folder with oci.dll in your system path? (it should be)
Is there any other oci.dll in your system path (this shouldn't be a problem but it has been known to cause problems in certain situations which I don't recall the exact details of - if you have more than one client, you might try temporarily taking the others out of path, either by changing path or renaming the other folders with the client)

This just happened to me. I made a connection with a 12cR2 client, then needed to connect with a 10g client. It worked fine after restarting Toad and then connecting with a 10g client after the restart.

Sometimes these Oracle DLL's don't unload properly, so switching can be (but isn't always) problematic. It tends to depend on which client you are switching from/to.

Hi that’s for your help. I do have the 32bit version. The oci.dll is in the system path (C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\BIN) and no it is not duplicated elsewhere. I’ve restarted toad on a number of occasions and it doesn’t appear to have any effect. I have also made sure that no other client is running or has been running, and that hasn't made any difference.