Change of keyboard shortcuts doesn't work in TOAD 14

Yep, changing keyboard shortcuts works again in the latest beta :+1:t2: Thanks!!! :smiley:

You're welcome. FYI, I accidentally caused these two problems with the recent shortcut changes, but they will be fixed next beta.

Now there's the next little issue with the keyboard shortcuts in the latest beta. Changing for example F8 and f9 works, but with the next restart of TOAD, the default shortcuts are restored.

Additinioal information: In the settings it looks like F8 and F9 are still changed after restart, but the behavior is like default.

I just did this:

1. Start Toad, open Options, set Execute Statement as F8 and SQL Recall as F9.
  2. Open Editor, enter a SELECT and hit F8 - statement runs. Hit F9, SQL Recall opens.
  3. Close Toad
  4. Start Toad
  5. Open Editor, enter a SELECT and hit F8 - statement runs. Hit F9, SQL Recall opens.
  6. Close Toad
  7. Start Toad
  8. Go to Options, Execute Statement is still F8 and SQL Recall is still F9.

It seems ok to me. If something isn't working for you, can you give me some clear steps to reproduce it?

I just did the same as you, and everything is fine. Seems that the misbehavior just happens sometimes, but not always. I have no clear steps to reproduce, but when I should find them, I will let you know.

Best regards,
-Rainer

Now I have an additional information. Yesterday evening I closed TOAD and restarted my PC. Now today, the behavior of F8 and F9 is default (F8 = SQL Recall and F9 = Execute), although in the shortcut configuration it is like I set it (just the other way round). Workaround: Delete both shortcuts an set them again like I want them to be.

Still I have no idea what triggers the behavior to default again...

Best regards,
-Rainer

I wonder if it has to do with how the editor is opened....like if you open the editor before a connection is made, if it is opened by opening a workspace, etc.

When I start TOAD, one connection is opened because it is marked as Auto Connect in the DB login window. In the window settings the editor and the schema browser are marked as Auto Open with the schema browser as auto-open bring to front. This means that always when my TOAD is just started, an editor and a schema browser window with my default connection are opened and the schema browser is the active window.

Rainer, does his happen often - when you restart Toad and the shortcuts are wrong? I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Sorry John, I have no reliable scenario to reproduce. Most times it happens when I:

• Shutdown TOAD at closing time
  • Restart my PC in the next morning
  • Restart TOAD

But it happens regularly.

Best regards,
-Rainer

Hi John,

just for yout information - with the latest Beta (14.2.102.1066) the problem seems to be solved. I did not notice the shortcut issue anymore. If the problem returns, I will inform you.

Best regards,
-Rainer

Sorry, it happened again after a restart of my PC...

Hi there,

i just noticed this too in the last couple of days. My pc is on 24/7 and Toad is running all the time. When i need to reconnect to a database (Session > Test All Connections (Reconnect)) i noticed that a recently changed keyboard shortcut was resetted to the default.

I have changed Ctrl+D to do a Line duplicate instead of Quick Describe. Quick Desc is now Ctrl+ä.

After reconnect (without restarting anything) Ctrl+D is Quick Desc again. Then View > Toad Options > Do nothing just click OK. When i now use Ctrl+D in an Editor window it is Line duplicate again.

So is there maybe a default keyboard shortcut definition loaded when the connections gets disconnected and connected again?

I have this in 14.2.104 and 15.0.37 beta

Thank you

I was not able to reproduce it today with the reconnect. It just worked right away and Ctrl+D was Line Duplicate.
But then i restarted Toad, new Editor, Ctrl+D is Quick Describe again.

Mathias describes exactly the same behavior that I noticed. The keyboard shortcuts sometimes fall back to default, and there is no reproducable scenario for that. Mostly it's after a TOAD restart, but it happens not every time...

Do you ever run more than one instance of the same version of Toad at the same time?

Nearly never! Only when my TOAD instance hangs up with any SQL statement, I use a second TOAD to kill the session. Otherwise I never use more than one instance.

No, i only use one instance of a version. Since 14.2 and 15.0 beta use a different "User Files" folder i guess its save to run them side by side.

@rainer.koenigs @mathias.schroeder
I just found something, maybe this is what you are seeing.
If Toad starts and I do a "Recover Documents", at first, the shortcuts are not there (and weirdly, F9 is tied to UNDO)

Or if I just open Editor and hit F8 then SQL Recall opens.
But if I type in a statement and hit F8, then the swapped shortcuts are assigned and it runs the SQL.

I'll have this fixed next beta.