Corrupt CONNECTIONPWDS.INI / Toad current user

Hi,

My PC crashed (while Toad was up). Upon restart I get the message:

Invalid file, C:\Users<myusername>\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\11.6\User Files\CONNECTIONPWDS.INI. This file cannot be shared among different users for security reasons. Passwords will not be loaded, and file will be replaced

It creates a new CONNECTIONPWDS.INI, of course. The old one contained quite a bit of useful connection information and configurations. E.g., not only the schema user names, but also things about read-only or not, colors, and useful “nicknames” for the various connections.

I actually found a nominal backup copy named ~CONNECTIONPWDS.INI. But when I try to import that, I get:

The passwords in the import file appear to have been encrypted by a user different from the current user and will not be imported.

Of course, this is not true. My login credentials haven’t changed in any way. So here are my questions:

1. Foremost: Is there any way to convince Toad that this file is for me, the current user? (Perhaps the file is simply corrupt, and the error message is due to manged data therein?) Is there any way to prove that it is actually corrupt or not, or nature of the corruption? If so, might there be some hack to repair the corruption?
  2. How does toad determine the “current user” or “user” for the passwords file?
  3. Instead of chucking the entire file over the fence (assuming it’s not corrupted that is) why doesn’t Toad simply keep all the connection information sans passwords?
    Thanks for any help,

Ken

Did you ever get any response to this? I’ve had the same exact scenario occur.

On that particular thread, it sounds like the connectionpwd.ini file because corrupt when Windows crashed. This probably occurred because Toad was writing the file when Windows crashed.

As far as the information stored goes, the only information stored in that file is passwords in an encrypted format. Connection colors, names, … is stored in the Connection.ini file. That file is a plain text ini file. From the Connections window, this information can be exported and imported so that if it becomes corrupt, you can easily restore it. In newer versions of Toad, you can export and import the entire contents of the user files so your entire Toad experience can be backed up.

Greg

From: paul.sistare [mailto:bounce-paulsistare@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2015 3:08 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Corrupt CONNECTIONPWDS.INI / Toad current user

RE: Corrupt CONNECTIONPWDS.INI / Toad current user

Reply by paul.sistare

Did you ever get any response to this? I’ve had the same exact scenario occur.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks for the reply Greg. And thanks for the tip about exporting the config file in the newer versions of TOAD. For now I guess I’m stuck having to enter in the info for 20 connections, then making my own backup copy.

Paul

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2015 2:21 PM
To: toadoracle@toadworld.com
Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Corrupt CONNECTIONPWDS.INI / Toad current user

RE: Corrupt CONNECTIONPWDS.INI / Toad current user

Reply by Gregory Liss

On that particular thread, it sounds like the connectionpwd.ini file because corrupt when Windows crashed. This probably occurred because Toad was writing the file when Windows crashed.

As far as the information stored goes, the only information stored in that file is passwords in an encrypted format. Connection colors, names, … is stored in the Connection.ini file. That file is a plain text ini file. From the Connections window, this information can be exported and imported so that if it becomes corrupt, you can easily restore it. In newer versions of Toad, you can export and import the entire contents of the user files so your entire Toad experience can be backed up.

Greg

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.
Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General notifications altogether.
Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

I hadn’t received any activity on this thread until today. I agree it’s nice to know that the Connection.ini can be manually constructed and imported. I may actually write a script to create one from a tnsnames file and known user schemas, so that I don’t have to keep entering them in one-by-one as the need presents itself.

It would still be nice if Toad somehow maintained backup copies of these files to help with situations like this. But for now, like Paul, I have a bash script that occasionally backs them up for me.

Thanks for Greg’s response. I marked this as answered.

Something like this utility perhaps? Convert a tnsnames.ora file directly into a

Toad connections file?

qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/…/

HTH

Cheers.

Norm [TeamT ]

I had the same problem and I was able to resolve this issue by doing the following:

1. Make a note of the error message and shutdown Toad

2. Go to the directory that was specified in the error message. It will be something like: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle[version#]11.6\User Files:

3. Then right click on each of the connection files listed below and select “Restore previous versions”. Select the version closest to the current date.

• CONNECTIONS.INI
  • CONNECTIONACTIONS.INI
  • CONNECTIONPWDS.INI
  1. Start Toad and your connections and passwords will be available again (assuming you did not add new connections since the last restore point)