Toad World® Forums

how to force/cajole/trick Toad intoto recovering documents

I had TOAD lock up on me yesterday, and I had to kill it after determining it wasn’t doing anything on the database side, nor on the PC side. But when I restarted it didn’t recover any of my open unsaved Editor sessions. I see the ~eb*.tmp files and ~EditorBackups.txt has my list of unsaved sessions and their tmp files. Is there any way to get Toad to prompt me to recover them? This happens sporadically, that Toad doesn’t recover docs as expected, but I’m not sure what circumstances cause this.

You can force show what is recoverable using the Recover Documents from the File menu.

I had tried that several times yesterday without success. This morning I cleanly shutdown Toad and restarted and the Recover Documents window popped up. So is there a date or timing thing involved? Or is it merely the presence items in the ~EditorBackups.txt file that should allow recovery? I’ve done several kill-toad,restart (no automatic recover popup),recover-doc-from-file-menu and it seems to be working today.

It uses that file in conjunction with ~EditorBackupsPrompted.txt. If all backups in the ~EditorBackups.txt are present in the prompted file then you are not shown the recover documents window, but forcing it should show it. At least that’s how I remember it. If you’re seeing something else there may be a bug there in the logic.

I think there is a bug in the logic. I find that when there is a crash, the window doesn’t show, but it often shows when I had a successful shutdown first. And I find that when I did have a crash and try to go to the File | Recover Documents window, it often doesn’t have anything there.

I’ve been meaning to report it, but had forgotten until now. :slight_smile:

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Michael Staszewski bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: how to force/cajole/trick Toad intoto recovering documents

Reply by Michael Staszewski
It uses that file in conjunction with ~EditorBackupsPrompted.txt. If all backups in the ~EditorBackups.txt are present in the prompted file then you are not shown the recover documents window, but forcing it should show it. At least that’s how I remember it. If you’re seeing something else there may be a bug there in the logic.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta Forum notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org