Entering Wrong Data - Can't Escape

I’m working on a tedious project that is requiring me to modify the data in a table after looking up data from another field. In the process, I’m copying text to do my research and then I’m finding the numeric key which I’m pasting into my original grid. Occasionally, I will not actually get the number into the clipboard and so I end up pasting the string into a numeric field in the grid. And, of course, by reflex hitting [Enter] before I look. When I do, I immediately get a string of error messages from Toad giving me an OCI-22060 error, which is correct, but apparently Toad is attempting to do something behind the scenes, over and over and over and over, because I keep clearing the messages and they keep returning. I’m guessing if I was to click ok enough times the messages would eventually stop, but I have seriously clicked on the messages to clear them at least 50 times before giving up in the past and now I just have to kill Toad in order to be able to get past it.

If there was a way for the error message to be displayed and then whatever it is trying to do next to stop so I can correct the problem and continue, that would be ever so much nicer. :slight_smile:

I have only ever encountered this while editing in a Desc window, in case it helps for you to know that. :slight_smile:

Blessings,

Phyllis

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org

HI Phyllis,

Sorry for not answering sooner - your message got buried, I think.

I just tried to reproduce this (pasting non-numeric data into a numeric column in the data tab of a describe window) and I didn’t get any error at all, it just wouldn’t paste. If you are doing something different, let me know.

-John

Try putting data that was copied from two cells into a single cell. In my case, I am copying latitude and longitude and pasting them into google maps and then finding the number that should be pasted into my key field from there. So I am pasting in number tab number into a numeric field.

The good result of this is that I got much better at committing after each change (created a commit shortcut). :slight_smile:

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 2:56 PM, John Dorlon bounce-jdorlon@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Entering Wrong Data - Can't Escape

Reply by John Dorlon
HI Phyllis,

Sorry for not answering sooner - your message got buried, I think.

I just tried to reproduce this (pasting non-numeric data into a numeric column in the data tab of a describe window) and I didn't get any error at all, it just wouldn't paste. If you are doing something different, let me know.

-John

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Well, I’m getting closer. Pasting Number+Tab+Number into a number, I get OCI-22062, but I only get it once. If you can get to it between errors, click the “cancel edit” (red x) button on the navigator directly above the grid.

For me, the cancel edit button doesn't work to cancel. The only other thing I can think of that might be impactful is that I do have a trigger on that column.

I get three sets of error messages, I'm not positive about the order, but I think it is this:

Is it possible that it is something unique with my dataset? Or the fact that I have fixed columns on my grid? I'm happy to send you my table with its settings if you think that will help.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 4:40 PM, John Dorlon bounce-jdorlon@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by John Dorlon
Well, I'm getting closer. Pasting Number+Tab+Number into a number, I get OCI-22062, but I only get it once. If you can get to it between errors, click the "cancel edit" (red x) button on the navigator directly above the grid.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

I tried it again today and now I can reproduce it. I think the differences was that when I did this yesterday, it was on a NUMBER(4) or something like that and the calculator dropdown arrow was there. Today it was just a NUMBER which doesn’t just the calculator (since the numbers can be too big) and I got the cascade of errors. They seem to go away if you just hold down ESC and let them fly for about 10 seconds! I’ll see if I can clean it up though.

I tried it again today and now I can reproduce it. I think the differences was that when I did this yesterday, it was on a NUMBER(4) or something like that and the calculator dropdown arrow was there. Today it was just a NUMBER which doesn’t just the calculator (since the numbers can be too big) and I got the cascade of errors. They seem to go away if you just hold down ESC and let them fly for about 10 seconds! I’ll see if I can clean it up though.

Nice! I'll have to remember to try ESC if I make that mistake again.

Thanks John.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 9:43 AM, John Dorlon bounce-jdorlon@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by John Dorlon
I tried it again today and now I can reproduce it. I think the differences was that when I did this yesterday, it was on a NUMBER(4) or something like that and the calculator dropdown arrow was there. Today it was just a NUMBER which doesn't just the calculator (since the numbers can be too big) and I got the cascade of errors. They seem to go away if you just hold down ESC and let them fly for about 10 seconds! I'll see if I can clean it up though.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

It should be better next beta. Let me know.