FW: tod info for norm

One of my co-workers has been upgraded from 9.1 to 10.1 and he is having a
problem with F4.

Here is a screenshot of the results of an F4 against an existing table.

He gets a lot of square boxes which suggest unknown characters. If he does
another F4 different areas will be affected. Sometimes if he is really lucky it
works and he can go further.

He is going against an Oracle 10 database with an Oracle 9 client.

Everything works with the Toad 9.1.

What should I be looking for to help discover the problem.

Is it possible that some USER FILES file got corrupted.

Should I rename it and try seeing if then toad will migrate his user settings
from 9.1?

Norman Kling Tel: (514) 398-5023 ext 09536
Information System Resources Fax: (514) 398-8252
McGill University e-mail: Norman.Kling@McGILL.CA
688 Sherbrooke St West, Suite 500
Montreal, Quebec
H3A 3R1

image001.png

If you do a spool sql to capture the query, then run the same query in the
editor, do you still see those characters?

I remember seeing this once before, but I can’t remember what the solution
was. It may have been that I was using an old client.

Morning John, Erwin,

I remember seeing this once before, but I can't remember what the
solution was.
It may have been that I was using an old client.

Erwin's colleague is using a 9i client to connect to a 10g database. I
think it's a unicode/font thing - the font defined for Toad (in the
options) isn't able to display Unicode.

However, looking at Erwin's screen shot does make me wonder why there
are lots of unprintable characters appearing at the end of all the data

• are these CHAR columns I wonder and the unprintable character is a
    SPACE?

The text "SZVSBGI_PRN_TYP_CODEN" is interesting, as
there is a blob embedded in the name. I wonder what that blob should be.
(Or is the n just embedded in the garbage being displayed?)

I think courier can't display Unicode characters correctly, but courier
new can, for example.

But, don't mention fonts too loud or Rich will join in! :wink:

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

It looks like a font problem, but when it happened to me, it was just junk data
coming back with the real data.

I think courier can't display Unicode characters correctly, but courier
new can, for example.

LUCIDA CONSOLE 8PT!!!!!

Rich -- [TeamT]

Disclaimer: I think it's disturbing that Chiron doesn't wear pants.

Hi Rich,

LUCIDA CONSOLE 8PT!!!!!

It's like fishing isn't it, I set the bait and shortly thereafter, I had
a bite!

Anyway, I'm not fond of Lucida as it seems to do nasty things to my '*'
characters. Not that anyone should imaging I'm doing SELECT * FROM
SOME_TABLE - because I'm not!
:wink:

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

I had changed the GRID fonts (all three, heading, data, and something else) to CONSOLAS and still there was a problem. I didn’t change the Editor fonts because I thought this was a grid thing.