Toad World® Forums

Grid Popup Editor for Clob Values displaying corrupted data

Hi,
I'm on Beta version 14.1.73.858 64-bit and have come across a problem that doesn't occur in version 14.0.75.662.

When pasting a large chunk of text in a CLOB field via the Grid Popup Editor, the data appears corrupted from around row 1300 onwards . The Editor displays incorrect data in a single line from that row onwards. The data cannot be extracted correctly from that column using Export Dataset. The data is correct in the field, but can no longer be viewed or extracted via TOAD.

I've replicated the issue using Lorum Ipsom text on a test table using 2600 lines of text.

  1. Open a Clob field using the popup editor
  2. Paste in the text - in my case anything longer than1550 lines.
  3. click the Post Edit tick.
  4. Scroll back to the bottom of the text. The last few lines appears as this :

Praesent fringilla est tempor, bibendum libero id, bibendum diam.
Maecenas cursus odio et ligula ultrices tincidunt.
Proin rutrum metus id quam 涭愀氀攀猀甀愀搀愀 琀爀椀猀琀椀焀甀攀⸀ഀ਀ 唀琀 椀渀 搀椀愀洀 猀椀琀 愀洀攀琀 渀椀猀氀 挀漀渀猀攀焀甀愀琀 愀挀挀甀洀猀愀渀 渀攀挀 甀琀 搀漀氀漀爀⸀ഀ਀ 䄀攀渀攀愀渀 瘀攀猀琀椀戀甀氀甀洀 愀渀琀攀 猀攀搀 攀渀椀洀 挀甀爀猀甀猀 瀀漀爀琀愀⸀ഀ਀ 嘀攀猀
...

I've tried this on two different instances on different character sets WE8MSWIN1252 (19.0.0.0.0) and WE8ISO8859P1 (11.2.0.4), though both these are fine when accessed using TOAD 14.0 .

It looks to be a similar sort of problem to Data corruption in result of SELECT statement, beta14.0.51.637

Hi,
i'm having the same problem. I discoverered the same chinese characters in the "Grid Popup Editor" of a clob column when opened from a read only Data Grid. There seems to be something fishy with this window/element. And i think i can reproduce the issue.

First of all the data is correct, there are no chinese characters in the clobs and SQL-Developer or an Export just shows everything fine. Here is what i can provide:

Client:

  • Win10 64-bit with german env
  • DB-Client is 19.10 (also tested with 19.3)
  • Toad Version is 14.1.120.923 and issue is also in latest Beta 14.2.55.1008

Database is a 19.10 PDB on AIX with NLS_CHARACTERSET = WE8ISO8859P1

  1. create table clob_test (id number, doc clob);
  2. describe this table or open the data tab in SB
  3. insert a record manually with ID = 1 and double click the clob-column
  4. paste exactly 307081 bytes (eg from this ipsum pastebin text: https://pastebin.com/raw/n4AH5Wc2 or any other text with this length) in one line
  5. click on "Post edit" and close this popup-editor
  6. commit
  7. now go to an editor window
  8. select * from clob_test;
  9. double click on the clob-column in the Data Grid (this is read only)
  10. scroll all the way to the right (or keyboard End) and you see strange chinese characters like below

I can even copy the whole text and paste it to notepad++:

image

My colleague tested it with Toad 14.0 and there is no problem. He then installed 14.1 and got the issue.

I can also say that i cannot reproduce this on other databases on e.g. linux with NLS_CHARACTERSET = AL32UTF8

This is very strange and google translator is not helpful with this "nonsense":

椀渀 洀愀渀✀猀 栀椀猀琀漀爀礀⸀ 圀攀 栀愀瘀攀 昀攀氀琀 琀栀攀 最爀漀甀渀搀 猀栀愀欀攀 愀渀搀 琀栀攀 愀椀爀 猀栀愀琀琀攀爀攀搀 戀礀 琀栀攀

Sorry @megan.macfarlane I think I missed this when you posted it back in February.

I am able to reproduce this in a non-UTF8 characterset.

We'll have a fix for it in beta in a week or two. I'll post an update here when that happens.

-John

I was just about to post the same issue. :slight_smile: When displayed as HEX, the content is shown correctly. BUT, it's not just shown wrong, it's copied with those "nonsense" to clipboard when using CTRL-C in the grid.

This is fixed in the beta that just posted.
Get it here.
-John

Just tested it and it's fixed now.
Thank you