How to edit BLOB using Toad

Dear Community,

Few years ago, when I was using the very old version of Toad, I was able to modify the BLOB columns through Toad.

Now I don’t see any option to do so. (I am using the very latest version 12.7)

Your help is highly appreciated.

Best Regards

Arsalan

In the data grid, just double-click the cell of the row/column that you want to edit. That will open a dialog where you can upload a file to the BLOB column.

You can also rt-click in the cell and choose “popup editor”.

These options are only available when the query that populates the grid includes ROWID as one of the columns.

Dear John,

Thanks for your reply.

It seems that I am missing some settings, because I can’t see the query which is save inside the BLOB.

There is a query saved in BLOB and I am not able to see and/or edit it.

This is the Hex data view:

Previously I was able to open the BLOB using Toad and paste my query inside this field.

This is what I have lost and would like to remember how to do so.

Best

Arsalan

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 8:14 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] How to edit BLOB using Toad

RE: How to edit BLOB using Toad

Reply by John Dorlon

In the data grid, just double-click the cell of the row/column that you want to edit. That will open a dialog where you can upload a file to the BLOB column.

You can also rt-click in the cell and choose “popup editor”.

These options are only available when the query that populates the grid includes ROWID as one of the columns.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Your images didn’t come though, but what I meant is, do something like this in the Editor:

Select T.ROWID, T.*

from my_table_with_blob T

Run that with F9, and then you should be able to double-click in the cells to edit your BLOB.

I am not sure what you mean by “query which is save inside the BLOB”. But if you are storing text in the BLOB column then I’ll say this: BLOBs are meant for Binary data. If you are putting text/Character data in this field, it would be better to use CLOB.

Thanks John.

I think what I used to do, was to edit CLOB and not BLOB.

Sorry for confusion.

Best

Arsalan

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:17 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] How to edit BLOB using Toad

RE: How to edit BLOB using Toad

Reply by John Dorlon

Your images didn’t come though, but what I meant is, do something like this in the Editor:

Select T.ROWID, T.*

from my_table_with_blob T

Run that with F9, and then you should be able to double-click in the cells to edit your BLOB.

I am not sure what you mean by “query which is save inside the BLOB”. But if you are storing text in the BLOB column then I’ll say this: BLOBs are meant for Binary data. If you are putting text/Character data in this field, it would be better to use CLOB.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Oh, OK, yes, if you double-click on a CLOB column, it will give you a text editor to view/edit the data in the CLOB.