Toad World® Forums

Ignoring order of actions within an "If-then-else"

Has anyone else noticed an issue with the order of actions being ignored within an if-then-else in automation designer? I’m using Toad 11.6.

If I have several actions within a “then” (e.g. export generically-named table, then rename table, etc.), the process often fails because it appears that Toad will rename the table before it gets to the export step – and then the export step can’t find the table to export.

I can easily work around it by changing my “if” condition, but I’m just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Outside of if-then-else, the order of actions seems to work fine.

I was keeping an eye on this to see if anyone took it but they haven’t yet…

There’s definitely funk going on here. I did this:

if

then

Export Dataset

Message2

It blows right past the export dataset, not even running it, and shows Message2. Running just the export dataset by itself works fine.

I replaced the Export Dataset with a Script Execution, and the Script Execution action runs as designed, even with threading on it waits until finished then
shows message 2.

Actions and Apps are designed to run synchronously, so that control structures and fail conditions can be respected. This wasn’t always the case; earlier Toad
versions saw some asynchronous behavior creep in. This appears to be one of those cases.

I checked and the behavior works correctly in Toad 12 (though I did notice that Exporting the If/Then Action and Importing it into T12 has a bug in that it
lost the structure order).

Are you able to upgrade?

From: Michigoose [mailto:bounce-Michigoose@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 10:50 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Ignoring order of actions within an “If-then-else”

Ignoring order of actions within an "If-then-else"

Thread created by Michigoose

Has anyone else noticed an issue with the order of actions being ignored within an if-then-else in automation designer? I’m using Toad 11.6.

If I have several actions within a “then” (e.g. export generically-named table, then rename table, etc.), the process often fails because it appears that Toad will rename the table before it
gets to the export step – and then the export step can’t find the table to export.

I can easily work around it by changing my “if” condition, but I’m just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Outside of if-then-else, the order of actions seems to work fine.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.