import table data via ODBC

I really like this new feature. It will save some time and effort. It works nicely when the table name is the same on both databases. But I tried an import where the table names are different. I had to select the table I wanted, but the menu shows every table in the database, most of which look like system tables, and to make it worse, they are not in alphabetical order, so there was a lot of careful scrolling to find my table.

It would be nicer to limit the list to the schema of the username field that is entered to make the connection. Or alternatively, add a schema menu selection like there is on the initial Select Destination screen.

Thanks for the feedback. Because this is a generic database connection, I am not sure that the concept of a schema will always apply, but I’ll see what I can
do. I can at least put them in alphabetical order, and add incremental search to the dropdown if it isn’t there already.

Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:54 PM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] import table data via ODBC

import table data via ODBC

Thread created by roddyt

I really like this new feature. It will save some time and effort. It works nicely when the table name is the same on both databases. But I tried an import where the table names are different.
I had to select the table I wanted, but the menu shows every table in the database, most of which look like system tables, and to make it worse, they are not in alphabetical order, so there was a lot of careful scrolling to find my table.

It would be nicer to limit the list to the schema of the username field that is entered to make the connection. Or alternatively, add a schema menu selection like there is on the initial Select
Destination screen.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

After I posted initially, I thought of another scenario that might cause a problem. We have databases with multiple schemas with the same table structure, but not the same data. So I wondered how this would work.

I created identical test tables in two schemas in one database and put different data in each. Then created the same table in another database and ran the import twice, logging into each schema. I was happy to see that the import picked the table from the correct schema for each import.

I’m afraid the outcome is not quite so rosy if the table name is different, because now each table is listed twice (or more) and you can’t tell which schema each belongs to.

Next beta, the dropdown will include schema name (when applicable) and will be sorted. You will also be able to use incremental search (just start typing and it will match as you go)