Issue Installing Toad For Oracle

I’m getting messages during installation that I am not able to access certain folders. I am an Administrator on my machine and have the ability to save to the specified locations - so I’m unsure as to what might be the issue.

Attempted using the .exe and .msi installs. Both cases does not allow access to create/access files.

Toad Message after .exe install.
Toad has encountered an unexpected error.
Details: Cannot create file “C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\SettingsLocations.ini”. Access is denied.

Are you sure this happens on installation and not on Toad launch? Installation only writes installer files to program files. When Toad is launched, it has to access (or create) SettingsLocations.ini in your app data folder. Can you browse to that folder using windows explorer and create a file manually? App Data\Roaming is a standard location for applications to write user files to disk and should be accessible for admin and standard users.

Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 8:35 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Issue Installing Toad For Oracle

Issue Installing Toad For Oracle

Thread created by fongrj

I’m getting messages during installation that I am not able to access certain folders. I am an Administrator on my machine and have the ability to save to the specified locations - so I’m unsure as to what might be the issue.

Attempted using the .exe and .msi installs. Both cases does not allow access to create/access files.

Toad Message after .exe install.

Details: Cannot create file “C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\SettingsLocations.ini”. Access is denied.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I am able to browse to that location and create a txt file. I downloaded the installed from the TOAD website.

Maybe an anti-virus application is blocking access? Or something some other kind of security that is in place?

You did not answer my question on when exactly this error occurs. Is it during installation or when you launch the application?

Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2015 9:32 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Issue Installing Toad For Oracle

RE: Issue Installing Toad For Oracle

Reply by fongrj

I am able to browse to that location and create a txt file. I downloaded the installed from the TOAD website.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

It will also help if you tell us which version of Toad you are running.

Thanks

Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2015 9:32 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Issue Installing Toad For Oracle

Reply by fongrj

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

The issue occurs at both the install and after the install when attempting to launch TOAD. Version 12.6 that I’m installing.

**During install:**Cannot create file
“C:\Users\p380754\AppData\Local\Temp\ProductIcon.bmp”
After I click OK - I get an odd screen that show a window that is nearly empty which looks like where the steps would normally appear. I click NEXT and select the Products to Install (TOAD for Oracle 64-bit).
Then get installation completes.

**After install:**Toad Message after .exe install.

The installer message is most likely not coming from toad’s msi, rather the bootstrapper executable. I say that because toad.msi does not put down any file in that location called “Production.bmp”. If this is the case it sounds like Toad installed just fine despite the error. The empty screen you saw was probably because that .bmp file could not be put down, which is probably harmless.

The after install message is not related to the during install message, meaning one is not causing the other. However, I would think the same problem is causing both errors. Something, whether it’s some kind of corporate security, anti-virus, or OS restrictions/security is causing this, not Toad. One thing I would check is UAC (Windows user account control). Make sure this is turned off or as low as it can go. Unless anyone else has any suggestions I would say the next step is to contact Dell support so they can collect more info from you and better troubleshoot this issue.

Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2015 12:12 PM

Reply by fongrj

The issue occurs at both the install and after the install when attempting to launch TOAD. Version 12.6 that I’m installing.

During install: Cannot create file

“C:\Users\p380754\AppData\Local\Temp\ProductIcon.bmp”

After I click OK - I get an odd screen that show a window that is nearly empty which looks like where the steps would normally appear. I click NEXT and select the Products to Install (TOAD for Oracle 64-bit).

Then get installation completes.

After install: Toad Message after .exe install.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.