Macbook Toad for Oracle using Crossover

I tried the Toad for Mac edition and find it woefully underpowered. On my Windows 7 system, I pay for the Toad for Oracle Xpert including the DB Admin module, and I need the full functionality of that version.

I found the interesting blog post here http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/b/weblog/archive/2012/04/25/run-toad-for-oracle-on-mac-os-x that says I can run the Windows version of Toad for Oracle by utilizing the Crossover software.

However, the article is somewhat dated, and I wonder if it is still accurate for Toad for Oracle version 12.6, and Mac OSX El Capitan?

Or if anybody has any more updated or better solutions, I would appreciate to learn of those.

Thanks

JimR

I’ve never tried crossover but I may have to give it a shot. On my personal Mac, I simply use VMWare Fusion and a Windows 7 VM to run Toad. I also run a Linux VM with my Oracle XE DB. Seems odd running a Mac running Linux and Windows in VMs but it works.

From: james.ritterbusch [mailto:bounce-jamesritterbusch@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 3:22 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Macbook Toad for Oracle using Crossover

Macbook Toad for Oracle using Crossover

Thread created by james.ritterbusch

I tried the Toad for Mac edition and find it woefully underpowered. On my Windows 7 system, I pay for the Toad for Oracle Xpert including the DB Admin module, and I need the full functionality of that version.

I found the interesting blog post here http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/b/weblog/archive/2012/04/25/run-toad-for-oracle-on-mac-os-x that says I can run the Windows version of Toad for Oracle by utilizing the Crossover software.

However, the article is somewhat dated, and I wonder if it is still accurate for Toad for Oracle version 12.6, and Mac OSX El Capitan?

Or if anybody has any more updated or better solutions, I would appreciate to learn of those.

Thanks

JimR

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi,

I realise this is an old thread, but just putting this info here just in case it’s useful for someone.

I too run OSX and need access to TOAD’s more advanced features.

My solution is to run Virtual Box VM (free ware) running Windows 7.

On my Macbook Pro (2014 edition) it runs windows in the VM effortlessly (no lag), however a native TOAD would be a better solution as there is the cpu and memory overheads of running a VM; as I do also have a couple of Jboss instances running, and compile Java builds at the same time.

Plus 1 for VirtualBox!

At work, I run Toad natively on WIndows 7.

At home, when I am allowed some playtime (!), I run a Dell Vostro 1720 laptop with 8GB RAM and a Core 2 something-or-other CPU. It has Linux Mint 18.3 as the native OS, and runs Toad in a Windows 7 Professional VM under VirtualBox, with the database running on a Suse Linux Enterprise Edition running in another VM under VirtualBox. All my VMs, I have many, are set up with bridged networks so that they all are on my main network. Each has a hard coded IP address too.

This setup works well enough for my purposes - testing stuff, playing with RMAN and so on. Sometimes there are lags and slight delays (especially on the Windows 7 VM) but it’s definitely not unworkable at all, even in 8GB RAM.

Would I set up a RAC system in this mode? Maybe 11g RAC, but not 12c (or Oracle 18 aka Oracle 13, really! [;)])