Option to Keep Windows/Tabs Open on Disconnect

I would like to be able to disconnect without closing the windows and tabs belonging to the connection. Could this be added as an option?

Cheers,
Russ

It's in there.

Uncheck this:

Help says about that setting:

Editor Behavior Options

1. Only close the Editor when you end the session, not if it is disconnected via idle timeout or other unintentional disconnections.

If this field is cleared, when a session ends the Editor detaches from the session and remains open.

That is not what I am talking about, and unchecking that setting does not do what I am suggesting. I want the option to keep my windows open if I close the session myself such as when right-clicking the connection button and selecting End Connection. Unchecking that box does not have that effect as the help makes quite clear.

Moreover, I have never had an editor close because a session ended--except on End Connection--even with that option checked.

I want to be able to hit End Connection and just logout of the database without closing any open windows or tabs.

Cheers,
Russ

If you uncheck that option, then end your connection by right-clicking the connection button and choosing "End Connection", your Editors will remain open.

We don't have a way to do this with any other windows, but it does work with the Editor at least.

What I would like to see is for the whole session with all windows including the connection button to remain--just as they would if the session were timed out, networked out, or otherwise externally disconnected.

Oh, ok, I understand now.

Just curious - why?

Pending work is not just the contents of editor tabs. It is also selections in Schema Browser--often many SBs open on a single connection--and other things besides. Ending a session on the TOAD side clobbers a lot of things that are not editors, and doing so causes me to lose my place. To keep everything open, I have to kill the sessions from the various databases to keep TOAD windows and tabs open and ready to just reconnect. We should have a logout option that does not obliterate all of the work. I cannot even kill TOAD's own session in Session Browser.

1. Changing role grants does not affect active connections. They must be disconnected and then reconnected, but I cannot do this without closing the windows they have open.
  2. With many connections open (we have dozens of databases that I often have open sessions to) I want to be able to just logout but leave everything open so I just need to log back in. This would let me walk away or take a break without a lot of active sessions in the databases and then pick up exactly where I left off later with just reconnecting.

In these scenarios, i don't want to have to close all of my work which is not just unsaved editors but open windows and tabs and objects selected in SB. Most of my connections are to users that do not have idle timeouts set. They won't eventually timeout. I often find myself having to kill a session using SQL*Plus so that the session will go away without my windows disappearing.

Cheers,
Russ

I see. I'm not saying we won't add this, but here are some things that may help:

For #1 - Go to Options -> Oracle -> Transactions. Set "on Test/Reconnect" to "Always disconnect and reconnect". That way, if you get a role grant and you want to reconnect, just do Session -> Test Connections, and everything should disconnect and reconnect.

For #2 - Workspaces will help. Workspaces will remember all of your open connections and windows in Toad. The editor will also remember tabs and contents. Schema Browser just remembers selected object, but in 14.2, we've added remembering of RHS tab also. So you could save your workspace, close Toad, and then restore your workspace the next day.

To save your current workspace, just click the "Save Workspace" button on the main toolbar. Then you can end connection or close Toad or just change to another workspace.

To load a workspace, just select it in the workspace dropdown, and Toad will make your connections again and re-open windows. If you find anything in there that isn't saved that you would like saved, please let me know.

"Always disconnect and reconnect" may be helpful for that scenario.

I did try using the workspaces feature but found it inadequate.

I usually have many editor tabs open that are unsaved and I don't want to save them. If TOAD crashes, they are backed up and I can retrieve their contents if I want them. But, if I close TOAD myself, I have to manually save all those unsaved editor tabs when I don't want them saved. They just contain intermediate work, and I just want them there while TOAD is running. Also, I have to remember to save the workspace, which I would often forget and then don't get back what I was expecting. And, TOAD takes so long to get everything up, and I might not want to login all my previous connections immediately. It would be so much simpler if I could just logout and then login when ready to do so.

It is also annoying that saving a workspace is always a 'save as' operation that requires me to click Yes in the name dialog and then Yes again to overwrite. The editor has separate save and save as buttons. Why not for workspaces?

In any event, I suppose what I would like to do is an edge case that is not worth the coding effort though it seems strange to me that there is no 'just log me out' command.

Cheers,
Russ

it seems strange to me that there is no 'just log me out' command.

Well, as far as I know, you are the first to ask for this. I guess most users are content to just sleep/hibernate their PC with Toad still connected. I think Oracle will eventually kill your session on the server end if you do this.

-John

Hi Russell,

I think your problem can solve built in command Save current Workspace on the toolbar. Using this button you can save all opened tabs (saved or unsaved) under same name. Then you can use other connection, even reopen Toad and then instead choose one of your previous saved environments. That way you actually get same behavior like Notepad++ support except that there is all that done automatically, but here you have to do it manually.

HTH BB