Toad World® Forums

PL/SQL script that includes & in text fields

I’m sure this has been covered before, but my search hasn’t turned up anything… I’m using TOAD 12.0.01.2 to execute a large PL/SQL script. Some of the insert statements have text fields that include the & character. Of course, as TOAD is executing the script, when it encounters one of these records it stops and asks for the substitution for the & character. I know there is a way to turn off this behavior, and I think I used to know how to do this in previous versions of TOAD… but I can’t find the setting in the options that accomplishes this. Any help would be appreciated… Thanks.

Right click in the editor and click on substitution variable prompting

or put “set define off” at the top of your script.

Alternatively, put set define off at the top of the script and use F5 to execute it.

Same option as SQL*Plus.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Sent from my HTC

Sorry John, I didn’t see your reply before I replied myself. The joys of email on a small screen phone!

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Sent from my HTC

Thanks for the replies. Putting the “Set define off” line in the PL/SQL script resolved the issue. I would have thought that setting the substitution variable prompting to “none” would also have resolved this, but it did not. Indeed, I had gone into the Execute/Compile section of the TOAD options and made “None” the default setting, and I was careful to re-start TOAD to make sure the setting was active, but again this did not change the behavior.

If you’re executing as a script, we obey the same commands that SQL*Plus does so in that case, you need to use SET DEFINE OFF to execute using F5.

Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 3:17 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] PL/SQL script that includes & in text fields

RE: PL/SQL script that includes & in text fields

Reply by jrcooper

Thanks for the replies. Putting the “Set define off” line in the PL/SQL script resolved the issue. I would have thought that setting the substitution variable prompting to “none” would also
have resolved this, but it did not. Indeed, I had gone into the Execute/Compile section of the TOAD options and made “None” the default setting, and I was careful to re-start TOAD to make sure the setting was active, but again this did not change the behavior.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Plus you can add that line to your glogin.sql file (see toad options – works same way as sql plus) and then you never have to remember to do it

Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 2:25 PM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] PL/SQL script that includes & in text fields

RE: PL/SQL script that includes & in text fields

Reply by Gregory Liss

If you’re executing as a script, we obey the same commands that SQL*Plus does so in that case, you need to use SET DEFINE OFF to execute using F5.

Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 3:17 PM

RE:
PL/SQL script that includes & in text fields

Reply by jrcooper

Thanks for the replies. Putting the “Set define off” line in the PL/SQL script resolved the issue. I would have thought that setting the substitution variable prompting to “none” would also
have resolved this, but it did not. Indeed, I had gone into the Execute/Compile section of the TOAD options and made “None” the default setting, and I was careful to re-start TOAD to make sure the setting was active, but again this did not change the behavior.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.