RE process seems to be taking too long?

My recent attempt to RE a large database containing close to 2000 tables took an exceptionally long time, about 10 hours. Using other modeling tools, the RE of the same database took significantly shorter time(they vary from 1 to 2 hours). I simply chose the default options during each of the RE steps.

I was wondering if this speed is normal or perhaps I might have done something wrong?

Thank you!

Hello,

Yes, unfortunately, RE of large models is a very time-consuming operation. We are sorry it takes so long.
Nevertheless, we tested it also in other modeling tools and the results were similar. You write the RE of this database took a significantly shorter time in another tool. Could you please write us what tool it was? We will further check it out. Thanks in advance.
Probably, the selected options for RE can significantly influence the speed. For example, if you load only tables is a different thing than if you load also other data. TDM loads also indexes, comments, triggers, relationships, constraints, functions, views, procedures, user types etc.

One more note: After you reverse your large db to TDM, it is probable that the work with such a big model will be slower too. However, as we have experienced it is similar in other tools as well.

In any case, thanks very much for your feedback.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Thanks for the reply. The others tools that I tried with the same database are ModelRight and ER/Studio (both trial versions). They took no more than 2 hours to complete the RE process.

And yes I do notice the “lag” when working with such large models, and that’s common among all of the tools I tried. So I’m not complaining about that :slight_smile:

I don’t know if I should divide the database into many small models, or I should divide the big model into many workspaces. I prefer the latter but as mentioned there’s a lag involved.

Hi,

Thanks.
Well, the difference is pretty big (ten and two hours...). As I wrote previously, we did some testings - also in these products - and there weren't significant differences.
Did you select the same options/settings for the RE in all the products?

I don't know if I should divide the database into many small models, or I should divide the big model into many workspaces. I prefer the latter but as mentioned there's a lag involved.

Generally, it should be better to divide the database and then work with smaller models. However, it depends on if it is possible to divide it so as some data will not get lost (e.g. relationships).
If you RE the whole db and divide the model into workspaces, still the model will be big and work with such a big model will not be fast and comfortable. I'm sorry.

Regards,

Vladka