Toad World® Forums

Run the statements (or script) "in background"

Not really in the background, but allow to operate with TOAD options / windows while the editor runs the query.
While it is processing I would open a new session browser window or scroll up the script output / dbms_output windows, etc.
The progress window would still be on but not modal.

I know I could have run it in TSR but ups... too late it is already running in the editor.

Great idea. Toad has an option to "run scripts in same session as main Toad connections". If that is enabled, this isn't possible, but if the script has its own session, there isn't much of a reason to make you wait while the script executes.

I found "Execute scripts in TOAD session" option - I assume this is what you meant.
Why is it not possible when this is enabled? The actions I described do not interfere with the running session...

Yes, that's the option that I meant.

If we make script running non-modal, we can't (and don't want to) control what else you'll be doing in Toad (outside of the editor tab where the script is running).

We don't want 2 windows in Toad competing for the same session, because a session can only execute one SQL at a time.

Yeah, I see. When I think about it, I guess I saw a discussion on this before...
Well, I can always open a new TOAD to browse sessions etc, but it would be nice to review the script's output while it is running even in a single session mode.

Wow, it looks like this is already implemented in beta 13.2.0.230 !

I didn't make any changes for this. Maybe you have some option set differently now?

Well, I cannot reproduce it after the TOAD restart.
It must had "gone wild" - the Processing Script window was not showing; the script was executing normally with the editor window highlighting the script line.
Now all this is back to "normal" :cry:
Processsing%20Script

If I manage to reproduce will post here (I suspect connection time-out and reconnect).