Toad data modeler 5.3.4.13 Project - data model migration.

Hi,

I have of course downloaded the latest version of TOAD which has many welcome improvements. In particular the ability to crate a SQL server 2014 model which I have been waiting for.

Within the next couple of months the DWH project I am working on will change platforrm from SQL server 2008 R2 standard to SQL server 2014 Enterprise edition. We intend to leverage some of the new features (e.g. column store indexes etc…) in 2014, so, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with migrating/converting 2008 SQL server physical data models to a 2014 ones. Essentially being able to migrate my project and its models from one version to another.

I couldn’t find any obvious tools in the new version of TOAD to facilitate this so I’m keen to get some tips from anyone who has done this or how this could be done, I’m really want to avoid having separate projects or having to start a whole new project and redo existing models from scratch which would be very time consuming.

thanks,

Dominic

Hello Dominic,

Let me ask you a few questions. If I understand correctly, you now have a TDM Project with several MS SQL 2008 models and you want to migrate all of them to MS SQL 2014? Does your TDM Project use Version Control of some kind?

Under normal circumstances I would recommend you the Model Conversion tool for converting all of your MS SQL 2008 models to MS SQL 2014. After that, you would only need to go through the models and check/fix database specific items, which TDM by default comments out.

To your quesiton: "Let me ask you a few questions. If I understand correctly, you now have a TDM Project with several MS SQL 2008 models and you want to migrate all of them to MS SQL 2014? "

Yes this exactly what I want to do.

To your question “Does your TDM Project use Version Control of some kind?” No I do not use version control.

What is this model conversion tool you speak of? Where can I find it?

thanks,

Dominic

main menu -> model -> convert

Thanks ,that’s what I was looking for I’ll give it a try and see how we go.