Toad for Oracle 13.4 Freeware Already Expired

Hi John,

I've also been struggling with this same issue. I support a small development team and have been using Toad Freeware for the last 8 years. I set up Oracle SQL Developer for now but would like to continue using Toad.

Side note, went to Quest site to get a temporary commercial license. But it was a single seat that could only be used by the person who installed the software. Reached out with questions and was told by a Quest Regional Account Manager "Toad based freeware is no longer available. My apologizes."

I'm thrilled to hear that a solution is in the works! And I'd like to request a temporary trial key till this issue till the 13.4 license issue is resolved.

Hi Cathy,

You should be able to go back to the Freeware download page and re-download the new installer. That installer should work for you and your team. The installer can be found here:

-John

1 Like

Thanks John!

The new installer worked with trial period. Appreciate your help.

Thanks John! It's working for me now :))

Great job. Its OK now!
Thanks.

Hi John,

I'm following up to find out if this trial version will convert to Freeware. I'm seeing that trial will expire in 11 days.

Thanks again,
Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Yes, the trial version will convert to freeware, but the freeware period for Toad 13.4 has changed from six months down to 60 days after the trial expires. It also will be a full Base license, rather than the limited freeware restrictions. Quest is working towards providing a lower-cost method to obtain a full Base license for individual users and expect to have that version available to the public within the next month or two.

-John

1 Like

Thanks for the update, John. Looking forward to hearing about the new offering.

Good Morning

Health and success in your work

My apologies for the grammar, as I use Google translate (Spanish to English)

First of all, I want to thank Toadworld (freeware), because their software has been very useful in the development of my work, particularly with relationships and scripts.

Second, I would like to ask you for your support, since the software 13.3.0.181 has been installed on my office computer, with a duration of 90 days (As indicated by the Toad for Oracle start window). Previous versions worked for 180 days, and it would be great if they could go back to this stage.

Well, now my drawback is that the software does not allow me to access, after 30 days, since a message like the one I describe below is displayed:

"This version of Toad for Oracle has expired. You must download a new version before proceeding." OKAY"

I got the same error message this morning: "This version of Toad for Oracle has expired. You must download a new version before proceeding."

When I got to the Trial download page:

I got a new license by email but the .exe installer I was offered was the exact same 13.3 version I already had from May-12 2020.

I proceeded to uninstall it and re-install. When I got to the Product Licensing step in the installer and entered my newly received trial key, the installer threw this error : "The maximum number of trial keys has been exceeded".

Then I found this page : https://www.toadworld.com/toad-for-oracle-freeware
which says:
"we are changing our focus and replacing Toad for Oracle Freeware with a more affordable commercial version of our award-winning product."

So, I figured there is no more converting to free, time-limited (i.e. expiring after a couple months) crippled-down version, after the initial Trial period ?

But then it gets weirder after that.

I found the page here:

"Toad for Oracle Base Subscription, Download Trial"
That page offered me the version 14.0.75.662, which I downloaded.

The version has accepted the latest license key I had received earlier.
It shows a banner at the top saying I have 30 days left in the trial.

What will happen after that 30 days ?
Is it going to continue to work as a crippled-down version like it used to ? Or is Toad licensing completely different now ?

After 20+ years, the Toad freeware is going away. It is being replaced by a subscription licensing model.

After the 30 days expire, to continue using Toad, you can buy a year's subscription for $195.
Details are here: https://www.toadworld.com/toad-for-oracle-freeware

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.
However I can say this whole thing has been very confusing, as the information available on Quest.com in is not in line with the information on Toadworld.com .

I strongly suggest that the Toad Trial page at Quest be taken down :

That would make it much clearer for everyone.

Also I don't understand how come Quest has not sent out communication emails to the email addresses associated with the Trial license keys, in advance.

It is not a small change. Such a change in licensing agreement certainly warrants clear and timely communication.
Whereas here there has been no communication whatsoever.

Yes, I agree, the communication should have been better (please be nice to me, I'm only a developer!)

That page is still valid though. The editions still exist in the regular-key version, and there is still a trial version of each.

What's changed, is that Trials no longer turn into a feature limited freeware after 30 days.

After the 30 days, if you want to continue using Toad, your options are to either buy a regular permanent license (same as it's always been), or buy a subscription.

John,

The problem with the Trials on the Quest Trials page is that it points to the same installer as before, Toad_for_Oracle_2020_x64_Trial_Full.exe v13.3.0.181 from 2020-05-12. Not the new ToadforOracle_Subscription_14.0.75.662_x64_En.msi that I finally found over at Toadworld.com!

The startup error "This version of Toad for Oracle has expired. You must download a new version before proceeding" message, which everyone using the Trial-converted-to-free license used to see after a while when starting up Toad, leads you to believe you have to go and download a new trial version again. It's been like that for a few years.

And then the same installer from Quest won't accept the new Trial key you get by email !
This is quite messy, if you ask me.

1 Like

Oh, I understand. Yes, that is messy. The EXE installers will be updated to 14.0 soon.

We should have had all of the links and pages updated before the 14.0 announcement and freeware was made.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll run it up to management.

1 Like

Thanks John for acknowledging the issue!