Toad slow to open

I have installed a new version of Toad on a Windows 10 VM (16.1.53.1594), and it takes a long time to open the program. It takes a long time saying "Checking for critical files...". Also, it takes a long time to get out of the options. I can click 'Cancel', and it takes around two minutes to go away. I also have a red Oracle client listed in my drop-down list. (I have one that isn't red.)

Hi John,

Follow the steps on this post. Let me know if that helps or not.

-John

That worked for two out of three of my issues. Thanks! How can I get rid of the Oracle connection in red in my drop-down?

On the login window, click the '...' next to the "Connect using" dropdown to see why it's red. Post a screenshot if you aren't sure.

The red client's Oracle_Home doesn't exist, and that's fine. Is there a file that contains the homes so I can delete this one?

No, we don't keep a list of them in a file.

My guess is that there is still a registry key for it under either HKLM\Software\Oracle or HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Oracle.

In either case, there may be a node (or multiple nodes) under that branch like:
key_OraClient12Home1

Obviously the version numbers may differ. As a first step, you may want to rename (or export) the node rather than just delete it.

I blipped the incorrect one, and it's not showing up anymore. Thanks for your quick help!

1 Like