Toad World® Forums

v6.1 - Object Explorer Window is Slow to Load Database With Large Number of Tables

I recently upgraded to 6.1 and had Toad import my settings from 6.0. When I connect to our SQL 2008 R2 server, with our ERP database as the default, Toad takes about 4-5 minutes to load the Object Explorer Window using a filter on the list of tables. It takes about 2 minutes to load without a filter applied. The database has about 3400 tables. Switching to another database and coming back loads quickly. However, reapplying the filter takes about 2 minutes.

The filter is a custom SQL filter:

LOWER(obj.name) NOT LIKE ‘%_seqt%’ AND LOWER(obj.name) NOT LIKE ‘%obs%’ AND LOWER(obj.name) NOT LIKE ‘%im%’

Databases with a smaller number of tables load better, but seem slower than it should be.

Previous versions of Toad handled this situation fine with no delay in loading the Object Explorer Window.

I checked the output window after my first connection this morning and it showed the messages below. However, when I launched a second instance of Toad and switched back and forth between databases, there were no messages.

Category Timestamp Message
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000: 45263417
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 07:50 50000: 11104522
Connection 11/22/2013 08:00 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 08:00 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 08:00 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 08:00 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 08:00 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 08:00 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 08:00 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 08:00 50000:
Connection 11/22/2013 08:00 50000: 45231562

I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thanks,

Bob Beaghan

Hi Bob,

I have the same problem; I opened a service request 2 days ago.

Now I’m waiting the solution.

I’ll post the answer ASAP.

Luca

Hi,Bob

Thanks for your feedback, In our environment, we cannot reproduce it.

but we have created an issue TSS-200 to trace it ,we will ask developer to solve this

problem

Thanks,

Cathy.

Hi ,Bob

Developer have looked into this issue,he said there was SQL added in 6.1 that pulls index

information when getting a list of tables.We have since removed this SQL because it

caused problems with permissions.

So we think it also causing the slowness in the query, 6.5 Beta have include this change,

please try on that,if still have some problems ,please let me know.

Regards,

Cathy.