Version Manager - Add Version

Hi, I have a question about the behaviour of Version Manager ( TDM version 3.1.7.25) when adding a Version or Revision by right-clicking.

I have the following initial situation

Test_Proj
|
|- Test.txp
|

I now right-click on version 1.0 and select ‘Add version (2.0)’

I now get

Test_Proj
|
|- Test.txp
|

When I was expecting - i.e. a new version at the root level

Test_Proj
|
|- Test.txp
|

Instead , if I do the following:

1. Open the project read-only
  2. From the ‘Application View’ select ‘Add to Version Manager’
  3. Select the txp file from the ‘New Version Location’ dialog.

This creates a new version as

Test_Proj
|
|- Test.txp
|

My question is whether the behaviour in Version Manager is correct, because it seems a bit unexpected. Also is the workaround using the Application View the correct way to create a new version?

Thanks

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

if you wish to create new version based on version 1.0, simply check out version 1.0, do changes and then click the Check In button. New dialog opens and you will have the following choices:

• overwrite current version
  • save as new version
  • save as new revision
  • don’t save

This is the correct way how to work with versions and revisions in Version Manager.

The right-click options are available for situations when you need to add different file to the version manager. For example, when you realize that your changes were wrong and you wish to start again with the original initial model, now let’s say as version 2.0. In this case you will have to select the original file (TXP) and add it to version manager via right click menu.

Of course, you can add new version to the root level easily. Just don’t right click the version 1.0 and select ‘Add version (2.0)’, but right click the model name, in your case Test.txp and select ‘Add version (2.0)’. This way the second version will be in root level.

For more information, please have a look at the on-line help or manual. In both documents you can find section Version manager.

Regards,

Vaclav