Version Manager "Check IN" features

Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to “Check In” the file on “Application View/ Version Manager” panel without closing the Model? As it take up quite a lot of CPU power to load the model again.

E.g. To have an option like a check box which allow user to choose, whether to close the mode or not.

I would be grateful if it could remain the same version control tool bar as TDM2, which has some icons on the tool bar to allow you to check IN, check out the file, and Also whenever we close the program, it would request if you would like to “Check In” the file as well.

Please let me know if you would like to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi

Hello Chi,

Here I'm with replies and comments.

I am wondering if it is possible to "Check In" the file on "Application View/ Version Manager" panel without closing the Model? As it take up quite a lot of CPU power to load the model again.
E.g. To have an option like a check box which allow user to choose, whether to close the mode or not.

Current situation:
It's not possible. Now, whenever you like to save the changes you make in the version/revision, you need to select Check In. No other Save option is available. The Check In allows you to select if you like to save it to new version, revision etc.

Situation A:
You check out version 1.0, keep working with this version for some time, and want to save the changes to the current version and save them continuously - without checking in and out again and again. - In this case, we will consider your request. - CR # 33 379.

Situation B:
You check out version 1.0, make changes and resave it as version 1.1. Now, would you like to leave the original version 1.0 opened in the Application Window, or the newly created version 1.1?
Or did you mean only situation A?

Thanks for your remarks.

I would be grateful if it could remain the same version control tool bar as TDM2, which has some icons on the tool bar to allow you to check IN, check out the file.

Thansk for your suggestion. CR # 33 383.

Also whenever we close the program, it would request if you would like to "Check In" the file as well.

Important note at the beginning: In TDM 2, you can check out and therefore in only one version. In TDM 3 you can have several versions/revisions checked out.

============
Current situation:

1. You have four versions checked out. - They are all listed in the Application View.
  2. You close the application. -> The Application Close dialog will open. Here, all models and versions opened and checked out in the Application View are listed.
  3. Select which of them you'd like to save.
    If you click Save for all the versions, the changes will be saved (not checked in, just saved) in the current versions.
    When you open the application again, the versions will be still listed in the Application View and ready for other edit and check in.

============================
Your requirement and possible solution:

1. You have four versions checked out. - They are all listed in the Application View.
  2. You close the application. -> As the four versions have not been checked in yet, you will get first CheckIn dialog for the first version, then second,.... fourth.
  3. After all the versions are checked in, the Application Close dialog will open.
  4. Select models that you like to save.
  5. Application will close.

Well, I hope you understand the difference. Would you like TDM3 behave the second way? - Which is to check in all opened versions, one after another, before the application is finally closed?

Any ideas and comments will be greatly appreciated - from you, Chi, and also from other users.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions!

Regards,

Vladka

Hi vladka

In 1.
I would prefer to do something like Situation B, whenever I click on Save/CheckIN button, it will re-save the model as E.g. from 1.0 to 1.1 and make it not to close the model (like situation A) and let us carry on working on version 1.1.
I would like to check IN whenever I feel the changes I made on the model is OK, but I would like to carry on modify the same model, when I happy again, i would check in and carry on work on it again. I do not think I would open up different version of the same model unless i need to compare them.

I do not think the “Save” button is working on my version, it always grey out =(.

1. I understand the difference between TDM2 and TDM3 now.

yeah i think it would be good, but do they get overwritten or it will be check in as its subversion?e.g. 1.1.0 to 1.1.0.1 …etc
[Well, I hope you understand the difference. Would you like TDM3 behave the second way? - Which is to check in all opened versions, one after another, before the application is finally closed? ]

Many thanks

Chi

HI,

AD1)
OK, I've entered your remarks to the CR # 33 379. Our developers will consider it, and will try to find the best solution.

I do not think the "Save" button is working on my version, it always grey out =(.

You're right, now the Save button is disabled for the versions. I've just wanted to say that we will deal with this issue (the same CR # 33 379).

AD2)
Thanks for your feedback. I've asked also other users to join this discussion. So, I suggest to wait also for other opinions and ideas before our developers start dealing with this issue. Do you agree?

but do they get overwritten or it will be check in as its subversion?e.g. 1.1.0 to 1.1.0.1 ...etc

For each version, the standard Check In dialog would display. (See the attached screenshot.)

If you have any questions, please write me back.

Chi, thanks for your great co-operation!

Vladka
checkin.png

Here are my opinions: ....There may be more...

1)I feel Strongly that you should be able to Check In the model (same revision, new revision or new version) without the model closing. Work should continue in the Current/New defined revision/version.

2)If multiple models are open that are part of versioned projects, when the application is closed, the application should ask me what I want todo "Per Model" i.e. the Check in Dialog should come up for each model.

3)The Save Model and Save Model As options should be available for models that are under version control so that I can save them somewhere elseso that I can share, email etc if I so please. I warning dialog like in TDM2 should be displayed.

1. The "View' Options for the version Tree similar to TDM2 need to be present so that I can display the version tree how I prefer, without the display preferences you can get some very strange looking version trees. I understand the default tree today shows the "Parent/Predecessor" view, but numerical/hierarchical sorting is necessary too. see attached. The List of projects provides some help, but the tree display preferences would be better.

2. Having multiple versions checked out concurrently is OK, however I am not sure how often that will be used.

6)Also where you use the term "Actual Version" in the Check In Dialog, I think the TDM2 language of "Current Version" is more clear.

6B)When you unlock a revision of the model. The warning dialog messages should say "Will" discard changes and inform the uses that the version will revert to the checked in version. New language should be something like...
Unlock Version Videorental.txp-3.0:
Unlocking version will discard changes and revert to current checked in version 3.0.
Do you want to unlock version 3.0?

1. There are some usability issues

a)If I double click on a revision in the version manager it automatically checks it out and opens it....That seems OK...however if I look at it and then just close it without making any changes, it closes and leaves the file checked out. I would prefer that every time I close the model "Check In Dialog" comes up, so that I am forced to make a conscious decision to the "save state" of that model. Including just "Save" the Working model... it seems that you will be working on this with CR # 33379. I am interested to see what you come up with. I too am used to working with subversion...I used to having the notion of saving myl ocal/working copy without checking it in.

b) Double clicking on a locked but closed/not opened model in the version manager automatically (default action) brings up the check in dialog...thats seems a bit odd to me, I would expect it to open the model/or activate it in the application view...not try to check it in.

1. I think you have the “TDM2 style” view already. The version list view is called now “List of”…, specifically I recommend to look at “List of versions”. I don’t see where has TDM2 Version manager anything you can’t achieve with TDM3 Version manager.

2. It’s mainly intended for work on multiple files. When you are modelling one model and you have to stop for a while and create a smaller model for testing or slightly modify documentation to a model at once…

3. That will correct a new localization process

7a) You can’t close a checked-out model. Either you close only the designer - now the model is still opened. Or you check-in which closes the model itself.

7b) relates to 7a)

Have a nice day

Hello!

Thanks for taking part in this discussion and sharing your ideas with us!

1. OK, thanks for your remark on this. As per Chi’s request, we will deal with this issue. Possibly will add a new checkbox to the Check In dialog. (CR # remains 33 379).

2. All right, the same opinion as of Chi. CR # 33 437.

3. Thanks for this suggestion. CR # 33 438.
    Instead of the Save As, we will consider right-click option “Copy model from Version Manager to…”. Just to prevent the situation when the version will be saved as a new model but not saved or checked in in Version Manager.
    The Save option will be available + the notification similar to the one in TDM2.

4. Fero writes abou the “List of…” E.g. right-click the Local Server to see the List of Projects. Right-click the Project to see the List of Files, and right-click the file to see the List of versions. Here, you can sort the items - click the selected column heading. Also, you can e.g. dock the “List of…” dialog on the Version Manager dialog.

5. Thanks for this suggestion. Yes, it will be better to use “current”. CR # 33 439.
    6b) Yes, we will change the text per your request. CR # 33 441.

7a) and b) As Fero already wrote, the thing is that when you close a version from the Application Window, you only close designer, but the model remains opened in fact.

In any case, we will further discuss the issue of closing models and also versions/revisions from the Application Window.
CR # 33 440.

Chi and bvader, thanks very much for taking the time to share your ideas and suggestions with us!

You’re great!

Have a nice weekend.

Vladka & TDM Team

1. Fero writes about the “List of…” E.g. right-click the LocalServer to see the List of Projects. Right-click the Project to see theList of Files, and right-click the file to see the List of versions.Here, you can sort the items - click the selected column heading. Also,you can e.g. dock the “List of…” dialog on the Version Manager dialog.

Actually this is OK but I have 2 small issues with it from a usability point of view.
a) Now the information about the versions is in 2 different places (minor)
b) List list needs the column “Predecessor” so that you can tell which version was derived from which. There is something a bit odd about the way the versioning and revision numbers work. (I have used many, many SCM systems) I will think about it further.

Keep up the good work.

Hi

I am wondering if it is ok to put the newly created file/model to the Version Manager directly by click on some button on the menu/tool bar. or right click on to the model on application view. rather than go all the way through version control manager and right click on it then add files, then you need to select the file you want to add to the version manager. I think it would be easier to just set a default that if they add the model to source control directly, it will automatically add it as a new project on version control manager or you could give them a dialog box for the user to choose.

Please forgive me if this issue have been discuss previously. ( i may need this point)

Please let me know if you want me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi

I agree with Chi…
Simple Check In, Check Out, Lock, Unlock, Revert buttons/icons etc on a tool bar would be very helpful and would follow many application conventions.

Hello,

You can add your just opened model to the Version Manager directly. Please follow these steps:

1. Select File | Add to Version Manager.
  2. In the New Version Location dialog, select a project where you like to add your model to.
  3. Confirm OK.
  4. The model will be added to the Version Manager and first version 1.0 will be created and checked out.

If you like to further enhance this option, please write me back.

Concerning the Version Manager toolbar, we will work on this. - CR # 33 383.

Thanks very much!

Regards,

Vladka

Hello,

Here I'm with some update and some questions on the Version Manager.

Update first :

I am wondering if it is ok to put the newly created file/model to the Version Manager directly by click on some button on the menu/tool bar, or right click on to the model on application view..

Except the File | Add to Version Manager option, we will also add this option to the model pop-up menu in the Application View. CR # 33 459.

Remarks and Questions:

We'd like to further discuss the view and sorting of files, versions etc. in Version Manager with you. - To be sure that we understand well... Thanks for your remarks in advance.

Actually this is OK but I have 2 small issues with it from a usability point of view. a) Now the information about the versions is in 2 different places (minor)

I've docked the "List of..." in the Version Manager dialog. When I click any project, list of project files will be listed in the List window. Here, I can sort them, e.g. by name (see screenshot 1).

When I click a file, its versions will appear in the List window. Again, I can sort them, e.g. by version number (see screenshot 2).

Generally, Version Manager can store a lot of projects with a lot of files and their versions/revisions.

The default sorting is the following:
Projects and files are sorted in VM alphabetically.
Versions and revisions are sorted as they are created - to clearly see what version was derived from which.

If you like to view the items in a different order, you can simply open the List of.. dialog, dock it, switch between projects, files, versions - the appropriate items will be seen in the List (see the screenshots).
In the List, you can select how you'd like to sort the items. Whatever sorting you select, you can be always sure that the original (default) sorting remains preserved in the Version Manager.

I understand the default tree today shows the "Parent/Predecessor" view, but numerical/hierarchical sorting is necessary too.

Let's say the numerical/hierarchical sorting is possible (e.g. via icons in VM toolbar). Nevertheless, for what level should the option be used? If you select numerical sorting, what items should be sorted this way - only projects, only files or all projects with all files and all their revisions/versions?

We appreciate your feedback very much. It's a great thing we can discuss the VM features now, during the BETA testing, see your point of view and finally make the VM work better.

Thanks!

Vladka
list_2.png

Hello,

Here I'm with some update and some questions on the Version Manager.

Update first :

I am wondering if it is ok to put the newly created file/model to the Version Manager directly by click on some button on the menu/tool bar, or right click on to the model on application view..

Except the File | Add to Version Manager option, we will also add this option to the model pop-up menu in the Application View. CR # 33 459.

Remarks and Questions:

We'd like to further discuss the view and sorting of files, versions etc. in Version Manager with you. - To be sure that we understand well... Thanks for your remarks in advance.

Actually this is OK but I have 2 small issues with it from a usability point of view. a) Now the information about the versions is in 2 different places (minor)

I've docked the "List of..." in the Version Manager dialog. When I click any project, list of project files will be listed in the List window. Here, I can sort them, e.g. by name (see screenshot 1).

When I click a file, its versions will appear in the List window. Again, I can sort them, e.g. by version number (see screenshot 2).

Generally, Version Manager can store a lot of projects with a lot of files and their versions/revisions.

The default sorting is the following:
Projects and files are sorted in VM alphabetically.
Versions and revisions are sorted as they are created - to clearly see what version was derived from which.

If you like to view the items in a different order, you can simply open the List of.. dialog, dock it, switch between projects, files, versions - the appropriate items will be seen in the List (see the screenshots).
In the List, you can select how you'd like to sort the items. Whatever sorting you select, you can be always sure that the original (default) sorting remains preserved in the Version Manager.

I understand the default tree today shows the "Parent/Predecessor" view, but numerical/hierarchical sorting is necessary too.

Let's say the numerical/hierarchical sorting is possible (e.g. via icons in VM toolbar). Nevertheless, for what level should the option be used? If you select numerical sorting, what items should be sorted this way - only projects, only files or all projects with all files and all their revisions/versions?

We appreciate your feedback very much. It's a great thing we can discuss the VM features now, during the BETA testing, see your point of view and finally make the VM work better.

Thanks!

Vladka
list_1.png

Hi

I would be grateful, if the list of Version window could be use for check in or check out file as well.

many thanks

Chi

Hi Chi,

Thanks for your suggestion!
I’ve entered your request. - CR # 33 471.

Regards,

Vladka