Warning : Template is blank ?

Hi,

I am using Toad for Oracle 12.6.0.53 with Db admin Module against my 11.2 dbb on Oracle Linux 5.4.

I opened the db browser — > Did a right click —> Selected option Generate RMAN Script —> Basic Script to setup RMAN for backup.

As soon as clicked that it comes up with a message “The template is Blank”

Any idea , how do i setup a template or what needs to be done ?

-Neeraj

Go to Options > RMAN Templates. Do you see anything there? Is Toad pointing to valid RMAN files?

From: neeraj.vasudeva_281 [mailto:bounce-neerajvasudeva2013@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:27 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Warning : Template is blank ?

Warning : Template is blank ?

Thread created by neeraj.vasudeva_281

Hi,

I am using Toad for Oracle 12.6.0.53 with Db admin Module against my 11.2 dbb on Oracle Linux 5.4.

Hi,

It does show 5 diff templates… for example

C:\Users<mynetworkuserid>\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.0\User Files\RMAN Templates\RMANDBHotBackup.rcv

my user id is the network id that i use to login into this laptop… would that be an issue, ideally it shouldn’t be … since everything else runs fine … but somehow toad is unable to detect these templates.

Any other tips … Do you think i should raise a ticket with toad ?

-Neeraj

If you’re using 12.6 your appdata path shouldn’t be at that location, at least not by default. In Toad’s options on the General tab is that 12.0 path you list shown for the “Application data directory” or is there another?

Hi Michael,

Thanks for providing the useful tip.

So i have no clue as to why the path is incorrect, for sure this is the first time that i looked at RMAN template screen where the paths are defined. My best guess is that when I did a upgrade from 12.0 to 12.x to 12.6 , somehow it still kept wrong path in RMAN template. I wonder whether other customers too reported the same issue when they did an upgrade or perhaps they are not using this feature very often …

Anyways long story short. Here goes the details which fixed the issue. Thanks for your useful tip

Application directory as per toad which you asked in last post

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.6\

Template setting for RMAN within toad ( This is clearly different than Application DIR path )

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.0\User Files\RMAN Templates\RMANDBHotBackupIncr1.rcv

Did a search on laptop to find template files and Actual template file resides at 2 diff. paths

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.6\User Files\RMAN Templates

C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 12.6\ClientFiles\User Files\RMAN Templates

**Basic backup script configured in Toad which caused the issue **

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.0\User Files\RMAN Templates\RMANSetup.rcv

Changed the setting to fix the issue

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.6\User Files\RMAN Templates\RMANSetup.rcv

-Neeraj

So i have no clue as to why the path is incorrect

Seems like a bug in the upgrade logic. I believe paths to old user files that are stored in Toad.ini should be upgraded. With Toad closed it might be a good idea to search for "C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.0"
in your Toad.ini and correct all instances to be "C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.6" to prevent problems in other areas.

Michael

On 03/19/2015 11:15 AM, neeraj.vasudeva_281 wrote:

RE: Warning : Template is blank ?

Reply by neeraj.vasudeva_281
Hi Michael,

Thanks for providing the useful tip.

So i have no clue as to why the path is incorrect, for sure this is the first time that i looked at RMAN template screen where the paths are defined. My best guess is that when I did a upgrade from 12.0 to 12.x to 12.6 , somehow it still kept wrong path
in RMAN template. I wonder whether other customers too reported the same issue when they did an upgrade or perhaps they are not using this feature very often ....

Anyways long story short. Here goes the details which fixed the issue. Thanks for your useful tip

Application directory as per toad which you asked in last post

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.6\

**Template setting for RMAN within toad ( This is clearly different than Application DIR path )

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.0\User Files\RMAN Templates\RMANDBHotBackupIncr1.rcv

Did a search on laptop to find template files and Actual template file resides at 2 diff. paths

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.6\User Files\RMAN Templates

C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 12.6\ClientFiles\User Files\RMAN Templates

**Basic backup script configured in Toad which caused the issue **

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.0\User Files\RMAN Templates\RMANSetup.rcv

**Changed the setting to fix the issue

C:\Users\my_network_user_id\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.6\User Files\RMAN Templates\RMANSetup.rcv

-Neeraj

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

That’s a good point, will do that.

Just curious , I searched for RMAN template path in toad.ini & i couldn’t find the same in toad.ini, is it safe to say that some paths are stored in toad.ini and for some functionality it is stored in diff. config. files.

I do see a lot of other path ( bad path ) with regards to PL/SQL blah blah in toad.ini though which anyways I will fix it.

-Neeraj