12.1 - Option to tell TOAD which directory to use for Alert Log viewer

We have 2 Oracle directories that contain the path to the alert log, one we created, the other is created by the monitoring facility of a 3rd-party. For one of my databases, TOAD is choosing the 3rd party directory and I’d rather not start granting access to 3rd party directories. Is there some way to tell TOAD which one to use or can such an option be added?

There is no way to explicitly specify a directory, but possibly a workaround -

Toad executes this query:

select directory_name

from sys.all_directories – (or dba_directories if you have the select privilege on it)

where lower(directory_path) in (‘path without trailing slash’, ‘path with trailing slash’);

Toad is going to use whichever directory comes back first in this query.

We don’t use any order by, and I don’t see one in the definition of the view. So generally in this case, the rows will come back in whatever order Oracle
finds them. You might be able to change the order that Oracle finds them by dropping and recreating the 3rd party directory. That might also make some objects go invalid, though, so watch out for that.

Another thought would be to add an Order by to the ALL_DIRECTORIES view (or DBA_DIRECTORIES, if TOAD is using that one). Although that seems safe to me, it
might get you into an “unsupported” situation with Oracle…

From: droeschley_109 [mailto:bounce-droeschley_109@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:29 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] 12.1 - Option to tell TOAD which directory to use for Alert Log viewer

12.1 - Option to tell TOAD which directory to use for Alert Log viewer

Thread created by droeschley_109

We have 2 Oracle directories that contain the path to the alert log, one we created, the other is created by the monitoring facility of a 3rd-party. For one of my databases, TOAD is choosing
the 3rd party directory and I’d rather not start granting access to 3rd party directories. Is there some way to tell TOAD which one to use or can such an option be added?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I saw the query TOAD was executing and since there’s no ORDER BY, I was hoping there was some way to “tell” TOAD which one to use. I can try asking the 3rd party entity if they will drop and recreate their directory, but that certainly won’t guarantee which order Oracle will return data (and I’m not up for changing a directory view to rectify this issue). The most elegant method would be for TOAD to determine which directory I really have access to and use that one. My second choice would be to be able to explicitly specify which directory Toad should use. Would either of these be a possibility in the next beta?

It seems like if I only query against ALL_DIRECTORIES, and never DBA_DIRECTORIES, our problem should go away, right?

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:59 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] 12.1 - Option to tell TOAD which directory to use for Alert Log viewer

RE: 12.1 - Option to tell TOAD which directory to use for Alert Log
viewer

Reply by droeschley_109

I saw the query TOAD was executing and since there’s no ORDER BY, I was hoping there was some way to “tell” TOAD which one to use. I can try asking the 3rd party entity if they will drop and
recreate their directory, but that certainly won’t guarantee which order Oracle will return data (and I’m not up for changing a directory view to rectify this issue). The most elegant method would be for TOAD to determine which directory I really have access
to and use that one. My second choice would be to be able to explicitly specify which directory Toad should use. Would either of these be a possibility in the next beta?

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Good thought. I uncheck “check for access to DBA views” and reconnected and I can read the alert log now. Gotta’ love letting Oracle do the work whenever possible.

Perfect. I’ll make that change for next beta.

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:19 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] 12.1 - Option to tell TOAD which directory to use for Alert Log viewer

RE: 12.1 - Option to tell TOAD which directory to use for Alert Log
viewer

Reply by droeschley_109

Good thought. I uncheck “check for access to DBA views” and reconnected and I can read the alert log now. Gotta’ love letting Oracle do the work whenever possible.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.