Toad 9.6

Oracle9i

Oracle11G

I have Health Check configured to examine the alert file for an Oracle 9i
database. It works fine.

I have another database, an Oracle 11g one, that I just cannot get health check
to examine the lter log file. The file and directory permissions appear to be
correct, the directory is mentione din the utl_file_dir parameter and it has an
Oracle directory created and permission granted.

Please let me know what it is that I am missing?

Cheers

Peter

Morning Peter,

Installed:
Toad 9.6
Oracle9i
Oracle11G

I have another database, an Oracle 11g one, that I just
cannot get health check to examine the lter log file.

I may be way off base here but I'm pretty sure that the alert log in 11g
is an XML format file. There is a plain text version available
"somewhere" on the server, but the mail alert.log is indeed XML.

I'm away from my books at the moment, so I'm not sure where the
alert.log actually lives under 11g - I think it moved.

And finally, I'm not sure that Toad 9.6 knows about 11g's XML format -
so that may be causing you grief too.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Peter,

Background_dump_dest is ignored in 11g as it uses DIAGNOSTIC_DEST
instead, as per the following extract from the Refrence Guide for 11g:

Note:
This parameter is ignored by the new diagnosability infrastructure
introduced in Oracle Database 11g Release 1, which places trace and core
files in a location controlled by the DIAGNOSTIC_DEST initialization
parameter.

And as for viewing the alert.log, the docs have this to say (Admin
Guide):

To view the alert log with a text editor:

1. Connect to the database with SQL*Plus or another query tool, such
    as SQL Developer.

2. Query the V$DIAG_INFO view as shown in “Viewing ADR Locations with
    the V$DIAG_INFO View”.

3. To view the text-only alert log, without the XML tags, complete
    these steps:

1. In the V$DIAG_INFO query results, note the path that
      corresponds to the Diag Trace entry, and change directory to that path.

2. Open file alert_SID.log with a text editor.

4. To view the XML-formatted alert log, complete these steps:

1. In the V$DIAG_INFO query results, note the path that
      corresponds to the Diag Alert entry, and change directory to that path.

2. Open the file log.xml with a text editor.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Toad 9.6 came out a year before Oracle 11g and as Norm points out – there
were significant changes to Oracle – such as the alert log becoming XML.
You need to stay current on Toad for such reasons ….

FWIW, the current beta still looks at the plain text version of the alert.log
file, even in 11g. I just tested it and it seems to work fine.

There was a bug prior Toad versions, in the way we were reading the alert log
files. That may be what’s causing the problem with Toad 9.6 and Oracle 11.

There was a bug prior Toad versions, in the way we were
reading the alert log files. That may be what's causing the
problem with Toad 9.6 and Oracle 11.

Thanks John.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]