Toad World® Forums

save output as excel file vs. excel instance

Hello experts! :slight_smile:

When I right click in the output window, and choose save as i ususlly choose
text file (.txt), comma delimited ((.csv) or excel

file depending on what I have to do with it, who gets it etc. etc. etc… But i
noticed another option that I have never used: Excel Instance.

What does that do? I would like to know what to expect before I attempt it.

Thanks.

Gene L. Bradley Jr.

Software Developer I

Information Systems & Integration

Jackson State University

1400 J R Lynch Street

P.O. Box 17750

Jackson, MS 39217

ph 601.979.1042

fax 601.371.9146

email gbradley@jsums.edu

“Excel Instance” talks to excel directly, rather than just creating
a file.

If Excel is not already running, Toad will start it up and start writing in it.

If Excel is already running, it will create a new sheet in the current workbook.
There is also a “start at current cell” option to start writing into
the current sheet wherever your cursor is in Excel.

It’s handy if you want to export multiple tables to different tabs in one
excel workbook.

It does not save the file – that part is up to you.

Excel instance is the BEST!

Instead of creating an XLS or XLXS file, it talks to Excel and writes the data
over to a new workbook. You can then decide if you want to save it later.
Perfect when you’re working with secure data and you want to do some
pivots, but not leave that secure data on your PC when you’re done.

It’s also great for appending multiple sets of data to a single
workbook/sheet.

Here’s a quick writeup

http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2010/12/three-ways-to-get-data-into-excel-wi
th-toad/

It adds a new tab to whatever Excel spreadsheet has current focus. I use it all
the time, and it works well.

Best regards,
Mike

Michael S. Zarzycki, MTS | Manager of Engineering IT | Sensata Technologies,
Inc. | voice: 508-236-1015 | fax: 508-236-3701 | www.sensata.com | The World
Depends on Sensors and Controls

Afternoon all,

Excel instance is the BEST!
Agreed, but …

I had problems in the past that I have not tested yet with later
versions of Toad. Where Toad Actions (as they were then) were scheduled
under the Windows Scheduler AND multiple tables were being saved to an
excel instance, strange things happened.

Instead of one file with many tabs, I got two or three files with
assorted tabs on each. Most strange indeed.

However, as I said above, it not something I’ve done for a while and the
old need to do it has gone away - thankfully!

I’ve had no problems using it “interactively” in a desktop session, it’s
just under the Scheduler I had grief.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Norman Dunbar
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
Capgemini Database Build Team
Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Ok that was great, thanks!!!

I love the way toad shades the column headers for me when I do save as
excel file. I wish I knew how it does that…

There’s some more stuff I’d like to do…

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM, John Dorlon wrote:

“Excel Instance” talks to excel directly, rather than just creating a
file.

 

If Excel is not already running, Toad will start it up and start writing in
it.

 

If Excel is already running, it will create a new sheet in the current
workbook.   There is also a “start at current cell” option to start
writing into the current sheet wherever your cursor is in Excel. 

 

It’s handy if you want to export multiple tables to different tabs in one
excel workbook.

 

It does not save the file – that part is up to you.

Never used instance with the scheduler…figure if I was going to automate
something I’d want it to actually build a file for me.

Sounds like an interesting thing to play with though.

Thanks Jeff.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Jeff Smith wrote:

Excel instance is the BEST!

 

Instead of creating an XLS or XLXS file, it talks to Excel and writes the
data over to a new workbook. You can then decide if you want to save it
later. Perfect when you’re working with secure data and you want to do
some pivots, but not leave that secure data on your PC when you’re done.

 

It’s also great for appending multiple sets of data to a single
workbook/sheet.

 

Here’s a quick writeup

http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2010/12/three-ways-to-get-data-into-exce
l-with-toad/

Ok Mike … I feel better about trying it now

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Zarzycki, Michael wrote:

It adds a new tab to whatever Excel spreadsheet has current focus. I use it
all the time, and it works well.

 

Best regards,
Mike

Michael S. Zarzycki, MTS | Manager of Engineering IT | Sensata Technologies,
Inc. |  voice: 508-236-1015 | fax: 508-236-3701 | www.sensata.com | The
World Depends on Sensors and Controls

Me too, I was just wondering…I do a lot of automated stuff that
subsequently goes out in an automated email that I never touch.

I actually make a comma delimited file in my pl/sql and spool it with a .csv
extension.

When the client gets it and opens it, they never know the difference.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Jeff Smith wrote:

Never used instance with the scheduler…figure if I was going to automate
something I’d want it to actually build a file for me.

 

Sounds like an interesting thing to play with though.