Toad for Oracle TSR not working

Hey all,

I am using Toad for Oracle 13.1 and I noticed that TSR is not working. When selecting a query and pressing execute via TSR, it gives me an error message - "The system cannot find the path specified."

Any idea how I could check further what is it looking for and how to fix it?

Thank you

Maybe the attached image from the Call Stack gives more information ...

Capture

Sorry for the delay. I meant to answer you yesterday but I got distracted. Always post call stacks when you have them. They are very helpful. I was able to see enough in your screen shot, but full text is better.

Anyway - It looks like it's looking for your windows AppData directory, and a subfolder QSR under it. It should create this folder if it doesn't exist. Maybe you don't have permissions to create folders there?

For me, the folder is:
C:\Users\MY_WINDOWS_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\QSR\

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I just checked, that path exists, the folder exists and also I have access rights to create a file there ... I also checked the full text from the details.

I can't really post the whole file cause it has some sensitive information ... but I under the 1.4 Parameters it is looking for a folder in C:\Users\MY_WINDOWS_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\xxxx.tmp. That file also exists, and I can read it.

The Call Stack Information - is this what you meant to put here (the table attached)?
CallStack.txt (2.7 KB)
Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Yes, that's the call stack info I was looking for. Thanks.

I was looking in our current source when I answered the first time. The logic in Toad 13.1 was different and a little complicated.

• Look in C:\Users\MY_WINDOWS_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\SettingsLocations.ini.
  • If that folder doesn't exist, go to to C:\Users\MY_WINDOWS_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\SettingsLocations.ini.
  • Open that file with notepad.
  • There will be sections in that file for every version of Toad that you have installed. Find the one that has VERSION=same as QSR.exe's version.
  • Now look at the AppData line in that section. The folder specified there +"User Files" is where QSR is looking to save a file called EditorAutoReplace.xml.

If you see some data that doesn't look right, or references some versions that you no longer have installed in either of those SettingsLocations.ini files, cleaning that up will probably resolve this. If you edit those files, be sure that Toad is not running while you make edits.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, the situation is a bit more complicated it seems ...

I have indeed the path you indicated C:\Users\MY_WINDOWS_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle and inside there is a SettingsLocations.ini which has only one section for 13.1 which is my Toad version. The AppData points to a location on the C drive which exists and I have access to create files there ... I also have an EditorAutoReplace.xml file ... I renamed it and it re-created it, no problem there.

Still, qsr gives the same error message.

To make the story more funny ... I stumbled on the fact that I have also version 12.8 installed on my machine in a different location (same path but instead of Quest it is Dell\Toad for Oracle). There is also a SettingsLocations.ini inside pointing to the same AppData\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.8 location.

For curiosity, I executed the EXE file from both versions of Toad - the 13.1 fails with this The system cannot find the path specified error, the 12.8 works and opens a window ...

Can it be that because of the 2 versions installed this does not work?

Thank you

I think just having 2 versions installed at the same time should work or this problem would be a lot more widespread. But it does seem like you came across a combination that is a problem.

I would try:

• Rename C:\Users\MY_WINDOWS_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\DELL\Toad for Oracle and see if 13.1 (Quest) starts working right.
  • Or just uninstalling 12.8 if you don't use it anymore
  • Or installing 13.3 and see if it's fixed there (we did simplify/improve the logic in that version)
  • Or copying the 12.8 QSR.exe to the 13.1 folder? This option is a bit dicey but maybe it will work. Save the 13.1 QSR.exe if you try this.