How to make Toad crisp and sharp on 4K monitors

In Windows 10, assuming you have a Toad shortcut on your toolbar or desktop...

1. Right-click it.
  2. Choose "Toad for Oracle 13.1" (or whatever version) -> Properties.
  3. in the Properties dialog, go to the "Compatibility" tab.
  4. Click the "Change High DPI Settings" button
  5. Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior", set it to "System (Enhanced)"
  6. Click OK and Start Toad with that shortcut

This does not make everything in Toad 100% sharp, but the toolbars, main menu, and Editor look good. The grids and some of the object listings (such as SB LHS) don't have smoothed fonts yet, but we'll work on it. Everything is sized correctly as far as I have found.

1 Like

As this setting makes no discernible difference on a WUXGA monitor, I'll gladly accept a 4K monitor to verify this setting.

[starts holding breath]

Rich

Disclaimer: My current work environment is not capable of handling more than two 4K monitors concurrently. Plan accordingly. :wink:

1 Like

Sounds like Rich is running on a Raspberry Pi 4 with his two 4k monitors!

Cheers,
Norm.

1 Like

Hello John,

I've found an error when using laptop with 4k display attached with a FHD second display. I set Toad Properties|Compatibility|Change High DPI Settings to "System".

I entered a query in the Editor and after WHERE keyword I pressed Ctrl+T shortcut. The pop-up displayed correctly, with normal font size.

SELECT * from dual x
WHERE x.

I described the dual table with F4 and drag'n dropped the describe window to the second display. I recalled the Code insight popup window with Ctrl+T, and the content was unreadable - font size became very small.

I see that, thanks

Hi all,

yes, scaling just one of two monitors via Windows settings has some nice side effects on popup windows :slight_smile:

I have a monitor A, scaling is set to 125% and a monitor B with no scaling (100%).

If Toad main window is on monitor B and I open another window (e.g. "Describe Objects") on monitor A this is what the "Code Assists" popup looks like:

It's also possible the other way around, Toad main on monitor A, describe on monitor B:

Could be even more fun with an actual 4K and scaling of 200% :wink:

Cheers,
Julian

Hi guys,

I want to reopen this topic with a quick question - I have two monitors, one is 2K and one is 4K and use Toad 13.1. I tried using the suggestions above and fonts are sharp but a lot of the other menus and icons are blurry.

Do you know maybe if the situation looks better on the 13.3 in this regard?

Thanks
Marius

Hi Marius,

I don't think you'll see much different regarding the icons/fonts between 13.1 and 13.3.

There were plenty of other improvements though. If you have access 13.3, I would recommend using it over 13.1.

-John

Hey John,

Thanks a lot for the response.

Would it help to keep only one type of monitor (e.g. use only the 4K one with 150% scale) instead of mixing 2K with 100% scale with 4K with 150%?

Thanks,
Marius

If you are on Windows 7, yes. Windows 7 doesn't seem to handle that situation very well. If you are on Windows 10, I don't think that matters.

I use Windows 10. My primary monitor is non-4k. My secondary is 4k. For me, the icons are not razor-sharp but they are acceptable. If it looks unacceptable for you, can you post a screen shot?

You may have better luck with 200% than 150%.

windows scaling (% larger) is always a problem on many applications.
If you want sharp picture->use 100%